Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearlDudeDC View Post

As far as Kunzite, they've always said it is an evening gem sadly. I did a test once on a small Morganite and a small Kunzite I left them both on the window for two days, the color faded but not by much, then for two weeks well that all but washed them out, I should've taken pics of progression them they lost most if not all of their color.
    There was a great thread on PriceScope a few years ago where there was a discussion about how gentle heating can deepen the color of kunzite. As an experiment a kunzite owner matched the kunzite color to a paint sample strip, added the carefully wrapped kunzite to the stuffing of a chicken and baked the kunzite and prepared a delicious dinner for her family at the same time. As I recall, the heat did darken the stone a shade or two.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

HA! Omg I can't believe she roasted the stone in with the chicken...that's hilarious! I did wonder what temp was required to heat a stone and change the colour ... but I never actually thought you could just pop them into a chicken !

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

The two sets to the right were identical size and color. The others were the same color but smaller stones. All were worn but the really blue pair which have been in the safe. bluezircon.jpg

I think since I have nothing to loose I may set the three faded pairs in my crockpot over night on low.... I will let you know the outcome. Just to test if it really works, I will do all of the top row leaving the mates as they are.
    Last edited by lilliefuzzysocks; 04-10-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Lilliefuzzysocks, that color fade is surprising and disappointing for you! Now that we've read Red's post, inquiring minds are wondering if you plan to put a chicken in that crock pot along with the earrings ? I'm astonished someone would actually put the kunzite inside the chicken ... !
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I don't know much at all about gemstones - just the basics really. But I certainly didn't know that these stones faded in sunlight ! That's shocking...especially when you look at the cost of some of these things. I was at a gem show last year here in Australia and I stopped at a display of beautiful rings. They were featuring Morganite. I'd done a bit of reading on it a few weeks before as it seemed like the name was popping up a lot and I wasn't familiar with it . This salesperson was recommending a large stone to be used as an engagement ring. I was surprised as I thought it wasn't a very hard stone.

Seems to me that 'best practice' would be to advise customers as to the pitfalls be it fading colour or prone to scratching and chipping. Anything for a sale I guess.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Wow, that's really disturbing about the blue zircons. That's a lot of fading.

I've read that amethyst can fade, too. And yellow sapphires. And of course, conch pearls fade in sunlight. Some stones are just for night time partying, I guess.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

When I was a kid back in the day, I remember I would go to the mall with my family, while they did whatever they do I would always go to the jewelry stores. One particular store was also a custom jewelry shop, so they had trays of loose gems. I remember being shown a large em-cut gemstone from one of the trays and told it was a Kunzite, it had a moderate pink color and sparkled in the showroom lights. I had never heard of this gem before, so it captivated me (probably the name more than anything).

Every time we went to the mall I'd go the Goldsmiths. One day it was no longer in the tray, they were setting it a ring for a customer. I was a bit sad but I also remember quite a time later I stopped in and they told me my friend was back...the customer returned the ring and the stone was quite a bit lighter than before it had faded, it still had a sparkle but the color was weak.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Wow, that's really disturbing about the blue zircons. That's a lot of fading.

I've read that amethyst can fade, too. And yellow sapphires. And of course, conch pearls fade in sunlight. Some stones are just for night time partying, I guess.

I stopped checking back but I was hoping to hear your results LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by lilliefuzzysocks View Post
    I think since I have nothing to loose I may set the three faded pairs in my crockpot over night on low.... I will let you know the outcome. Just to test if it really works, I will do all of the top row leaving the mates as they are.

I hate to confess this but in my early early years, I tried to turn aquamarine into golden beryl, I wrapped a loose gem in aluminum foil and when my family was asleep I put it in the wood burning stove...I actually forgot about it until either my mother or father found it. It was cooked but not the wonderful golden color I was expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    There was a great thread on PriceScope a few years ago where there was a discussion about how gentle heating can deepen the color of kunzite. As an experiment a kunzite owner matched the kunzite color to a paint sample strip, added the carefully wrapped kunzite to the stuffing of a chicken and baked the kunzite and prepared a delicious dinner for her family at the same time. As I recall, the heat did darken the stone a shade or two.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

BPDDC, you would had tried that with an amethyst, there was some chance to obtain a nice citrine!

I've done the unthinkable I heated a small Amethyst cab on an open flame wrapped in foil...the Amethyst was a moderately saturated purple, but 5 min on a direct flame...it lost all color.

Quote Originally Posted by ericw View Post
    BPDDC, you would had tried that with an amethyst, there was some chance to obtain a nice citrine!

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

BPDDC, there are many ways to cook something, you have chosen the barbecue A direct flame is usually too hot to heat amethysts (but to turn their colours can request 750C). The most danger to heat a stone on a direct flame is to break it. Now, each amethyst turns in a different colour, often amber or madeira, scarcely yellow as a gorgeous citrine, sometimes they loose any colours, sometimes they turn in dust green... It's a game of chance.

Oh, Sorry. I completely forgot about this thread and missed it. Yes, I took one of each of the pairs of the faded blue zircons and placed them into a empty crook pot and turned it on high for several hours and checked them against the other of the pair. Nothing appeared different after the experiment.

I suspecte as much, but I was very curious just the same. I also like that you were willing to experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by lilliefuzzysocks View Post
    Oh, Sorry. I completely forgot about this thread and missed it. Yes, I took one of each of the pairs of the faded blue zircons and placed them into a empty crook pot and turned it on high for several hours and checked them against the other of the pair. Nothing appeared different after the experiment.