Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Default Favorite Gemstone Shapes/Cuts

I was cleaning some jewelry the other day and I realized there was a common theme occurring...color. I became curious to see what my loose gems might have in common, I noticed it is the shape. I am drawn to emerald/octagons cuts/shapes. While I have many different gems and many different cuts, the emerald shape seemed to be the reoccurring theme. I am not sure I paid that much attention before, and if I did I've forgotten. Of course I've learned that not all shapes are suitable to all gems. I once traded away an emerald cut Andalusite because shape did not do the color combinations justice.

Do you have a favorite cut of gemstone that you are drawn to, if not have you ever thought about what it might be?

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I love Emerald and Cushion type shapes ! Not that I have any lol

#Life goals right LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    I love Emerald and Cushion type shapes ! Not that I have any lol

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sanippy's Avatar

I love all shapes except for hearts and princess cuts. I have rounds, cushions, pears, ovals, modified emeralds. But my favourite cuts are probably asscher and these decagon shapes that Gene from Precision Gem cuts (I don't own either shape!).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is my favourite stone (and shape) in my collection:

image.jpg

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Beautiful !! And I add Asscher cut to my list - it is actually my #1 fav.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

WOW those gems are magical!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I like ovals for large gems. They just seem very flattering in a ring or pendant or earring. They're just a bit more interesting than a round, but still have the brilliant quality of a round.

I seem to always be disappointed in pear shapes and square cuts (emerald cut, princess cut, asscher cut, baguette), unless they are very well cut. Those decagon shapes are stunning.

I like cushion cut, but in a ring, they always seem a bit off center. Perhaps that's because I can never get a ring to sit straight on my finger. The shank has to be really big to go over my knuckle, so when it gets up to the slimmer part of my finger it sits all cockeyed.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

I purchased a barion cut dark blue zircon from Columbia gem house. I hadn't seen that cut before. Love the eye candy hanadama.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Googles barion cut. Ooooo, cool. Does anyone have an barion cut gemstone they can photograph?
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-09-2017 at 10:51 PM.

This is my Barion cut blue zircon. barioncut_zpse121fc1e.jpg

That is a very gemmy BZ. The color is superb it reminds me what you used to find in estate pieces of Aquamarine (the good stuff lol). I think I have one or two ovals..I used to chip my zircons on the showcases etc so I stopped wearing them in rings . Thanks for sharing that stunner! (and the others too hanadama these are drool worthy)
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 04-10-2017 at 01:42 AM.

I bought a hand full of round brilliant cut also and had them set into studs. Wearing them under the fluorescent lights at work really did a number on them. I don't go out in the sun so I know it wasn't that. Anyway, this gem and one pair of earrings are still this color, the others are very faded and it's a real shame. I also have a kunzite 28 ct oval portuguese cut pendant I keep out of the light. Just when can you wear these gems?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Fun thread, BlackPearlDudeDC!

Lilliefuzzysocks, that's a really beautiful blue zircon! Now I'm very curious about fading. I have a blue zircon ring, earrings and pendant that have seen fairly heavy wear under fluorescent lights in the past, and haven't noticed any fading ... now I'll have to go look closer .... they don't get as much love as my pearls these days.

Hanadama, that decagon shape from Precision is stunning; I'd love to see one of those in person!!!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Quote Originally Posted by lilliefuzzysocks View Post
    Anyway, this gem and one pair of earrings are still this color, the others are very faded and it's a real shame. I also have a kunzite 28 ct oval portuguese cut pendant I keep out of the light. Just when can you wear these gems?
    Well candlelight dinners will make the Zircon fire explode wasn't it called starlite or something like that for that reason...I forget now, anyway have more of those type of outings so you can wear your BZs.

As far as Kunzite, they've always said it is an evening gem sadly. I did a test once on a small Morganite and a small Kunzite I left them both on the window for two days, the color faded but not by much, then for two weeks well that all but washed them out, I should've taken pics of progression them they lost most if not all of their color.

So much spodumene/ kunzite, morganite, pink topaz gems are so irradiated, coated or treated in one way or another these days most people don't realize the natural color of these gems can at times be quite delicate, finding vintage pieces with good/splendid colors... sigh, is a task and client expectations high (as are the prices).

As you've probably figured out I am very random in my thoughts :-).

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    Fun thread, BlackPearlDudeDC!

Lilliefuzzysocks, that's a really beautiful blue zircon! Now I'm very curious about fading. I have a blue zircon ring, earrings and pendant that have seen fairly heavy wear under fluorescent lights in the past, and haven't noticed any fading ... now I'll have to go look closer .... they don't get as much love as my pearls these days.

Hanadama, that decagon shape from Precision is stunning; I'd love to see one of those in person!!!