Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Quick Newbie question :)

Hello guys,

First of all, thank you for sharing your knowledge on pearls, I've learned some interesting things and it does seem like a great community over here.

Anyways, I am looking to buy some pearl stud earrings as an anniversary (2 years) gift for my Japanese girlfriend. She is slim and white complexion - 174cm / 5'7".

Unfortunately I can't just take her to Mikimoto and let her chose whatever she wants, but still want to get some nice looking pearls. I've read Pearl Paradise is pretty decent in comparison to some of the other big sellers. Neither of us know much about pearls, and she'll be happy with any gift I giver her, but I obviously want to make the best decision for what I want to spend ($350).

I've read so many different things that is overwhelming. Looking at these options (Pearl Paradise):

AAA White Akoya 8.0 - 8.5
    White Hanadama 7.5 - 8.0

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks and have a great night!

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Another option is White South Sea studs, 8.0-9.0mm, $234 on sale: https://www.pearlparadise.com/collec...-stud-earrings

AAA earrings will be very good quality. Hanadama pearl earrings are AAA that have been submitted to the Pearl Science Lab to be tested for nacre thickness, luster etc. and have a certificate with the details of the findings. Personally I would rather have the larger studs, but your girlfrind may prefer smaller ones.

Considerations:
    Does her job involve being on the phone a lot? If so, the smaller studs would be easier to wear at work.
    How large are her ear lobes? Smaller studs can look a bit lost on a larger ear lobe.

Here is a thread with photos of what different size pearls look like (scroll down for studs photos):
    http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sho...mparison-Guide

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sanippy's Avatar

Ohh SSP is a great suggestion!

If you're set on akoya why don't you ask PP to select a few pairs of AAA and Hanadama & send photos for you to choose from?

Thank you for the suggestion!

I just emailed them and asked them for photos of the 3 different kinds of pearls. Hopefully I get them in time and you, the experts, can help me chose!

Have a great day!

Hello Pearl Dreams! Thank you for the information and sending me the South Sea studs option. I have asked them for photos of the 3 different kinds, which I will eventually upload here for comments.

I will now upload a photo of my GF earlobes, so perhaps I could get a sizing suggestion. I was considering 7.5-8 as I read it is kind of the standard. She doesn't work too much from the phone, so I guess that would not be a problem.

Thanks again!

Default GF Earlobes photo

Here is a pic of my girlfriend's earlobe...

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  46.0 KB

Hi austrasia,

If these are not a surprise, then get her input.

If they are a surprise, I suggest you have a look at her other earrings and jewelry. Does she tend to wear more petite earrings and smaller jewelry in general? If so then sure, go with the smaller Hanadama earrings.

Does she prefer top quality things generally? Then get the Hanadama earrings.

Also consider where on her ear lobe the piercing is. I can't tell from the photo. If lower down on the lobe, the smaller ones may be better.

Has she always wanted the classic smaller earring studs, or admired them on other women? Another indicator that the smaller Hanadama might be better.

That said, 8-8.5 is not large either. It's about 25% larger than 7.5-8 by volume. And 8.5-9.0 would be about 50% larger by volume.
    And you could always get her the perfect smaller studs now and larger AAA SSP later on for a future gift occasion.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sanippy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by austrasia View Post
    Hello Pearl Dreams! Thank you for the information and sending me the South Sea studs option. I have asked them for photos of the 3 different kinds, which I will eventually upload here for comments.

I will now upload a photo of my GF earlobes, so perhaps I could get a sizing suggestion. I was considering 7.5-8 as I read it is kind of the standard. She doesn't work too much from the phone, so I guess that would not be a problem.

Thanks again!
    Your girlfriend is gorgeous! Please share the photos when you receive them. We love to help!

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Hi austrasia! Welcome to PG! All 3 options, WSS, Akoyas, and Hanadamas are excellent choices. Your GF is a lucky lady!

Thank you very much for all your comments!

I ended up buying the Hanadamas. Pearl Dream's last comment really made sense, and it's her first pair so going classic is never a bad option.

Hanadama and SunSeeker, thank you for the kind words.

Will definitely share a photo once she get's them. I hope you all have a great day!

I think that was a good choice. (How can you ever really go wrong with top quality?)

If she loves pearls, these will not be her last ones!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

You can never go wrong with Hanadamas! And 7.5 - 8 mm is a very nice size for an earring. Perfect choice.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

You have done the right thing..buy the best of each type of pearl and you will never waste your money . A start with Hanadama studs..perfect. Your dear GF is absolutely stunning and these pearls will be wonderful on her. Please do post a photo when you get a chance! This was very thoughtful of you .. and clever of you to seek out the knowledge .

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    You can never go wrong with Hanadamas! And 7.5 - 8 mm is a very nice size for an earring. Perfect choice.
    Thank you very much!

Thanks for the kind words! It is very sweet of you guys to guide people in making the right choices. I will post a couple photos and thoughts about the pearls I received.