Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ode à ma Mère

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Our mothers, like our pearls are precious...I lost my dear mother almost 6 years ago...BWeaves, what a wonderful way to pay tribute to your mum...hugs to you for being a wonderful daughter and sibling!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member kalmen22's Avatar

What a wonderful thread. Thank u Bweaves for sharing her with us. Hugs

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member trulyviolet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    No French roots here. Mostly Russian, Polish and German. I'm not sure why I picked French. It just sounded classy.

A little background. My mother had her first heart attack when she was 35. She had a wake up call and immediately lost a ton of weight and started watching what she ate and exercising. She had 2 triple heart bypass surgeries. She had 4 pacemakers. She was diabetic, too. She was given 6 months to live 2 1/2 years ago. She followed her doctor's orders to the letter, watched her meds like a hawk, and lived over 2 years longer than the doctors predicted. She died peacefully in her sleep a couple of weeks ago at the age of 81. She died just a couple days shy of the anniversary of my parent's first date. It was a blind date on Valentine's Day exactly 60 years ago.

Who's cutting onions in here?
    omg, i am so sorry, this is so sad but also so good that she lived longer and your folks stayed together over all that time

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

HERE BE WYVERNS ======>>>

Name:  IMG_2312.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  184.4 KB

Lookit dat punim! ("Punim" is Yiddish for "face," especially a cute one.)

Who's a good little dragon? You are! Yes you are! Yes you are!

Ahem! cough, cough.

Name:  IMG_2311.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  201.6 KB

I know Chinese freshwater Rice Krispie pearls are passé, but I LOVE this necklace, and I'm going to wear the hell out of it.

Name:  IMG_2310.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  109.3 KB

I think these pearls are old enough that they have transcended "dated" and are now "retro / vintage."

My Mom bought this necklace in the early 1980s. She wore it twisted as a torsade, and then later loose like I'm wearing it. The clasp is actually not in the dragons mouth, but behind his head. The original necklace had 8 strands, and my Mom asked the jeweler to make her one with 12 strands because she wanted it to look really full.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Oh, BWeaves, that is the most wonderful necklace! The dragon is adorable ... are those sapphires? Fantastic Beast
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sanippy's Avatar

I LOVE it! And the dragons!! Looks great on you too.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar

OMG I love rice krispie pearls too BW. You are one lucky girl. This one is a beauty. Glad it is yours

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member perlas's Avatar

What a bittersweet but beautiful thread! I'll be following this thread for sure...
    ______Perlas
    o-o-o E Unio Plurum o-o-o

Oh dear BWeaves. I am so very sorry to hear your sad news. And what you did for your sister was just wonderful and probably went some way to ease the very understandable disappointment of not getting your mum's engagement diamond. That was such a kind and loving gesture on your part. Such lovely photos and you look great in the rice Krispies!

And a special thank you for explaining Punim ....I am embarrassed to say that I have used it for years with my boys without any idea what I was saying lol I'd pinch their little cheeks and say " oooooo look at dat little punim face" Now I know I was saying "..ooo look at dat little face face' duh

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Oh, wow, what a wonderful necklace! Your mom's decision to make it a 12 strander was a great one, it does look really full. That dragon is a very good girl! I bet it looks spectacular twisted as a torsade.

Cathy: Yes, sapphires on the end cap. Diamonds on the ring he's biting, and on the crest on top of the dragon's head. I think the dragon's eyes are rubies. I'll update this post if I'm wrong about that.

Katbran: That's too funny. If you think you're using Yiddish words and don't know what they mean, just ask me. For example, lot's of people use the word "schmuck" to mean "you idiot" and don't know it actually translates as "penis."
    Last edited by BWeaves; 03-03-2017 at 01:16 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Pearly-Whites's Avatar

BW--such a parallel universe. I now have my mom's rice crispy pearls from the 80's and will post them when I return home! They look great and they have amazing luster.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member moneymeister's Avatar

I love the dragon clasp on the necklace. What a wonderful piece to remember your mother.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I wanted to comment on this thread but I hesitated. I don't really know what to say. I can feel you, BWeaves. My deepest condolences on your mother's passing. May she rest in peace.
    At the same moment, I'm glad that you get to keep those rice krispies with the dragon clasp. You really look great wearing this special necklace.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearly-Whites View Post
    BW--such a parallel universe. I now have my mom's rice crispy pearls from the 80's and will post them when I return home! They look great and they have amazing luster.
    Please do! Maybe we can instigate a Rice Krispie resurgence.