Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ode à ma Mère

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

I cannot speak for anyone else, but as a former Jewelry Associate (and many more years in the industry after) I often wondered if pieces I've sold went to a loving home. It sounds silly but I'd get to know pieces very well so I'd be able to share them with the right person.
    Your Mother had a true appreciation for jewelry and craftsmanship.

You are not only honoring her memory but also the artisans that helped craft all the wonderful jewelry, the stories are just icing on the cake, I feel privileged to have a peek inside your memories! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I hope I'm not nauseating anyone with my feel-good stories, but it's all true. I seriously lucked into the best family, ever. Even my in-laws are delightful.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

BWeaves, rest assured, both your jewelry AND your family stories have found homes in our hearts ... delightful. Thank You.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Some vintage goodies.

My grandmother and her sister had similar crystal necklaces in the 1920s. My mother remade them into one long necklace in the 1990s and then decided that it was a mistake. She had them restrung back to their original lengths, but she had lost one of the silver box clasps by then and replaced it with a ball clasp. Unfortunately, the necklaces are not strung correctly. The beads are not in the correct graduated order, so I'll have to restring them at some point. Sister had no interest in either necklace, so I took both of them.

The smaller necklace. This one is so out of order that it looks like I'm wearing it lopsided.

Name:  IMG_2533.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  63.7 KB

The larger necklace.

Name:  IMG_2536.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  56.9 KB

And my grandmother's sister's 1940s era, silver bracelet from Mexico. I always thought it was supremely ugly. Brother and sister talked me into it. It was growing on me. Then I tried it on tonight and got the clasp stuck. I think I'll get rid of it. I will never wear it, and I know brother and sister don't want it, and it holds no memories for me of her wearing it.

Name:  IMG_2525.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2526.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2527.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2528.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  58.5 KB

And lastly, my Mom's crystal necklace from Italy. Probably from the 1990s. Nice AB sparkle on this one. I confess. I borrowed it from Mom 15 years ago and never gave it back. Oops.

Name:  IMG_2529.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  107.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2531.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  62.9 KB

The crystal necklaces are really cool, but I'd rather wear pearls.
    Actually, I'd love a pearl necklace done up in this style.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 03-16-2017 at 12:32 PM.

And I'm off to a weaving conference. This will have to hold you off until I get back.

Thanks for all the wonderful photos ! Have fun at the conference !!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

BWeaves, glad to hear you get to go off on a fun weaving conference! Please come back and "show and tell" about it if you can
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

BW, I'm just now catching up on your wonderful thread!! Thank you for sharing your mother's beautiful pieces - you wear them so well. I'm looking forward to more posts!

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Love the crystal necklaces! I adore the silver bracelet, but then I have a soft spot for Taxco silver and similar

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I love this thread. I feel that I have gotten to know your mom a bit Bweaves through her jewelry and your stories, I have loved oogling all of her pieces, and I hope that this has helped you in your grief as well.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Just wonderful...restringing those beads should be fairly straightforward, but of course I'd want to use seed pearls in between each bead.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I'm just catching up on this thread too! BW, thank you for sharing all of your Mom's wonderful treasures. She really had wonderful taste. But the stories are the best part! I think my favorite (non-pearl) is your sapphire ring--beautiful color!

And I'm back from my weaving conference. I learned a couple of Japanese weaving techniques. Sakiori and Zanshi. Sakiori is taking old fabrics, cutting them into 1/4" strips and reweaving them into cloth. Classy rag weaving. And Zanshi is taking the thrums (thread crumbs), which are the left over threads from weaving that are too short to do anything with, tying them together, and them using them to weave, knots and all. Very cool fabrics result. Photos later.

Today I'm wearing Mom's "traveling" earrings, because she could get two looks out of the same pair of earrings. The huggies are very lightweight and comfortable. They have diamonds on one side (baguettes and rounds), and a pierced pattern on the other side. I supposed night and day earrings? I can't imagine I'll ever wear the pierced side to the front, although it looks rather good, doesn't it?

Name:  IMG_2546.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2547.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  79.6 KB

The diamond side is very sparkly and difficult to photograph. Unfortunately, my pearl drops don't fit on these because the back side is so wide. I think they'd look great with pearl drops, but it's not to be.

Name:  IMG_2548.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  62.7 KB

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Such an amazing collection.

Thank you! I feel rather sad for the diamonds. I'd rather wear pearls.

Wow , interesting earrings!!

You could have someone make a narrow rectangular pin that would fit over the earrings...so instead of a circle eye pin that goes into the pearl , it would be made to fit the wider shape ? Or if you only want them for pearls zap a littl ring on the bottom and attach a drop. It would move freely but be permanent. Just thoughts if you don't think you would wear them as they are. Cutout side would be cool with WSS dangling ! (Cool anyways of course)