Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ode à ma Mère

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

More corundum! The Rubyswan of Doggie Khayyám.

Name:  IMG_2463.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  93.0 KB

When I was little, my parents had a German shepherd named Kiam. He was the stupidest German shepherd I've ever met. My parents sold him to the FBI. But I digress. Mom had two swan pins, one sapphire and one ruby. My sister wanted the sapphire swan and I got the ruby one. Since I got both sapphires and rubies from my mother, it didn't really matter to me which swan I got. They were different designs, but both beautiful.

Ruby and diamond heart earrings with invisible setting on the ruby part.

Name:  IMG_2462.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  88.2 KB

Diamond baguette bangle.

Name:  IMG_2466.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  98.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2467.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  72.9 KB

And what I'm actually wearing today. Peridot earrings with omega backs. Very comfy. This pair is not as tight as the diamond ones and the sapphire ones I've posted previously.

Name:  IMG_2468.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  43.8 KB

A comment about my photo skills. I take the photo with my camera and then check to see if the jewelry is in focus and the background is not distracting. I upload the photos to my Mac into iPhoto. Then I pull up each photo and crop it mercilessly. This blows up the jewelry and makes sure it is centered in the photo. If I actually try to take a closeup, the jewelry is usually out of focus. If I back off a bit when I take the photo, and then crop the photo later, I have much better luck.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member moneymeister's Avatar

Thank you for sharing your beautiful jewelry and memories of your mother. Her taste was fantastic. Loved the multi-colored gold, the pearls, the precious gems. The sapphire was magnificent. Love the color of that sapphire.

It's an honor you have shared so much of your life with us, it gives the jewelry context and meaning.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Just gorgeous stuff BWeaves...I really love that baguette bangle.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

The swan is so pretty!

How beautiful everything is !! I too love the bangle . Those Peridot look great !

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Pearly-Whites's Avatar

Great corundum and great photo tips!!

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

BWeaves, I just finished reading all 9 pages with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. How difficult it must have been to go through your mom's items and split them. Y'all did it so gracefully and maturely, and that's admirable because so many siblings fight. I was touched your sister didn't speak up about the ring, and you gave her the mikis and then when he came back to ask again, your sister's reply was so touching, as was your brother's. You all must make your parents very proud and get along well.

Your mom had great classic taste in jewelry and you're very kind to share her story and treasures with us. I know you will wear them with pride and grace, as your mother would want. I look forward to seeing the rest of the story.

PURPLE! I'm having pearl withdrawal, but it's OK because PURPLE!

This ring is so not my Mom's style. But everyone agreed it suited me perfectly. I don't think I ever saw her wear it. It is amazingly comfortable for a bulky ring. I can't decide if it's Art Deco or Retro in style. It has a bit of both styles combined.

Name:  IMG_2476.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  76.0 KB

The amethyst is a gorgeous royal purple with flashes of red and blue that the camera just cannot capture. It looks great with the baguette bangle, too. By the way, Dad is a huge fan of baguettes. Never get between him and loaf of French bread!

Name:  IMG_2477.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  115.4 KB

Mom's amethyst earrings. The omega backs on this pair are killing me. I've already ordered a bunch more of those acrylic disks from Rio Grande. I think I'm going to put a pair on all the omega back earrings and some of the studs.

Name:  IMG_2473.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  64.2 KB

I'm wearing my 50th birthday present to myself (the pendant).

Name:  IMG_2475.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  60.8 KB

And on my other hand, another birthday present to myself, but I can't remember which year. It's an amethyst cabochon between iolite trillions.

Name:  IMG_2480.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  87.8 KB

Wow I love the big Amethyst ring ..such an interesting setting ! I just love Amethyst..thanks for all the great purple love !

Just a bit more purple. These are mine that I bought 35 years ago. The oval ring is a gorgeous red garnet that most people mistake for a ruby because it has a lot of life. I always thought that if I ever found a similar ring in amethyst and pear shaped, I'd buy it. And it showed up shortly after. These are no where near as nice as my Mom's sapphire ring, but I think I have all my tiara accessories in order should a prince ever invite me to a ball.

Name:  IMG_0892.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  104.2 KB

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I love the purples...and your mother's ring is wonderful! To me it looks very 1960s...like something Liz Taylor would have worn poolside, with flowy coverup and turban sporting a matching pin. Just beautiful.

On the omega backs, a jeweler can adjust the tension of the omega part so that they are more comfortable to wear.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Oddly enough, these omega backs are not tight. But the front of the earring isn't very big and cuts into my ear. Mom had her ears pierced with a needle and thread by a girl in college. Consequently, her holes were not straight across but angled towards the back. I've had to tweak her posts because they were angled, and I think that may be a bit of what is going on with this pair. I thought I had them straight, but they may need a bit more tweaking. I just don't want to break anything.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I've had to adjust angled posts, too. Use pliers (not fingers), grasping the full length of the post, and go slowly.

Thanks! I've got jewelry pliers.

I love amethyst, but that necklace has me swooning! Did you have it made for you?