Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tahitians or not tahitians ?

These were sold as vintage Thaitians. The lock is gold. What would be the market value ?

Name:  $_30.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  33.4 KB
    Name:  $_29.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  15.6 KBName:  $_28.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  34.0 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

They look like dyed freshwater pearls to me, not Tahitians. Dyed FWP have a much lower value than Tahitians.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

I'd also say dyed freshwaters - and badly over -dyed at that. (though that may be the photo)

Third-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

They are neither Tahitians nor Thaitians. They are dyed freshwater pearls.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member moneymeister's Avatar

Agree with dyed freshwater. One of the give-away signs is the one-tone flat color. Looks like they were dipped in wax. Most low quality dyed pearls have that odd monotone waxed look.

If you flip through the "Show us your pearls in action" thread, you will see quite a few of Tahitian strands. You will see most have a varied color tones within the pearl, even when the pearl is gray. They also look glossier.

Hi everyone, can you please help a newbie here? In the photos I see some reflections of a bit of green (second photo) and purple (3rd photo - out of focus pearls) colors. I would have thought they were Tahitians. What did you see to lead you to the dyed freshwater conclusion? (Just trying to learn, thank you.)

Thank you, moneymeister, you answered my question just as I posted it!
    Linda

Here are some lower grade Tahitians I just received yesterday. Look at the color difference between the pearls and the shine pattern. Name:  20170216_073830tahitians.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  18.6 KB

Here's another in a black round Tahitian pearl. The surface is very hard and sort of mirror like. The colored spots on the OP's pearls look like colored lights reflecting on the surface. Ebay is a hot bed of fake pearls. Prepare to be fleeced. Name:  20170213_074607 single.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  37.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mrsadm View Post
    Hi everyone, can you please help a newbie here? In the photos I see some reflections of a bit of green (second photo) and purple (3rd photo - out of focus pearls) colors. I would have thought they were Tahitians. What did you see to lead you to the dyed freshwater conclusion? (Just trying to learn, thank you.)
    Dyed FWP can have colors other than black, but they still look different from Tahitians. My circled dyed FWP are colorful but there are more purples and blues than I see in my 2 Tahitian strands, and the luster is also lower than my Tahitians. The following are dyed FWP: Name:  Dyed FWP strand.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  60.7 KB
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 02-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Here are some photos of different types of Tahitian pearls...I agree with everyone else, you have dyed freshwaters. Nothing wrong with them, unless you paid Tahitian prices for them! Name:  IMG_1131.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  72.5 KBName:  IMG_3305.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  65.3 KBName:  IMG_3118.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  86.5 KB
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

The luster and colour would suggest dyed freshwater pearls. The size is a giveaway too. Plus, that's not a vintage clasp. It's an inexpensive modern one IMO.

They are not worth much. Probably in the <$100 range if I had to guess.

You know, if they were sold as Tahitians, you might want to seek a refund. If you got them on eBay, there is a mechanism for seeking refunds if items are not as described. Or if you bought them somewhere else, you should have recourse through consumer protection laws given that this strand is clearly not what you were told it was when you bought it.
    Last edited by cmd2014; 02-16-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Dyed FWP can have colors other than black, but they still look different from Tahitians. My circled dyed FWP are colorful but there are more purples and blues than I see in my 2 Tahitian strands, and the luster is also lower than my Tahitians. The following are dyed FWP: Name:  Dyed FWP strand.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  60.7 KB
    PD, are they really dyed fwps? Wow, they are indistinguishable from real Tahitians.

Yes! I bought the loose strand at the East Coast Gem, Mineral and Fossil Show from a Chinese vendor about 10 years ago. I reserved 2 of the pearls in the strand for dangle earrings. This is how it looks since I restrung it on Beaders Secret.

I liked them because the shapes made them look more like ringed Tahitians than most dyed FWP do, at a time when I didn't own Tahitians. But in person, I can tell the difference from my Tahitians easily. My husband still can't. He came up behind me just now, saw the photo and said, "Oh, those are your Tahitians."

Although they are inexpensive FWP they are still my go-to pearls for a few of my tops because of the colors and the shorter length.

The most fabulous Tahitian doppelganger I've seen, PD. In your picture they look like genuine Tahitian pearls. Maybe IRL they look different, but in this pic I can't tell the difference.