Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

My H can't tell, even IRL. But I can. My genuine Tahitians have a greener body color.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

PD - those are some good look alikes !

I agree with everyone, though better close ups of the strands might help. They look to be dyed Freshwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Dyed FWP can have colors other than black, but they still look different from Tahitians. My circled dyed FWP are colorful but there are more purples and blues than I see in my 2 Tahitian strands, and the luster is also lower than my Tahitians. The following are dyed FWP: Attachment 48824
    Oh no! Those are dyed freshwater pearls? I think I'm going to get fleeced!!!!

I have been to my two local jewelry stores looking for Tahitian drop earrings. Did not find them, but they each had a necklace of Tahitian pearls. One was an ugly gray (reminded me of the color of seaweed :-) and at the other shop, a more expensive strand was a silvery gray - not multi-colored. So I guess I need to find someplace better to view the real thing and get to know what it should look like.

I appreciate all the photos and comments everyone has posted; I will study them. This is a great forum, everyone is so helpful!
    Linda

Take a look at the thread: 365 Days of Pearls

Baby Nurse has several strands of truly gorgeous Tahitian pearls, and her photography really shows them well. Her photos will show you what really good Tahitians look like.

Thank you for all the replies. I did not buy the pearls. They were sold at 300$ so for Tahitians it would have been a steal. I do not know much about pearls, but they looked kind of small for Tahitians so I started researching and found this forum. I do not really blame the seller. He inherited a bunch of pearls and is probably as clueless as I am.

You did the right thing researching before (or in your case, instead of) buying!

I wish more people who inherit pearls would come here to find out what they have before listing them.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

So glad you did not buy them! I bought a similar strand brand new, advertised as dyed freshwater, online about five years ago for under $100 with a 14k gold clasp and free shipping. They are pretty but nothing like my real Tahitians. I don't wear the fwps anymore because the Ts are just so much prettier and bring me joy. The colors of T are very tricky because their surface is like a mirror and they pick up the colors around them very well.

mrsadm,
    Here are my 2 strands of Tahitians and the FWP in the living room and in the bathroom (diffuse light, my back to the window; using Baby Nurse's method really brings out the colors). The dyed FWP are in the middle. You can see the differences better this way.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

PD - Your last picture shows the differences the best. Those deep purples and blues on the center strand show up a lot in the dyed freshies. There is nary a pearl that color in the real Tahitian strands.

I agree, Red. Problem is, eBay sellers don't take their photos in the sort of lighting that makes it easiest to tell the difference.
    The best way to avoid being scammed is to buy from reputable sellers.

Seriously, that first photo it would be hard to pick them . As Red pointed out the colours give it away in the second. But what a fun colourful strand.