Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hello everyone, I am new here to the Pearl Guide forum. What a wonderful place this is to learn so much about pearls! This thread alone has really taught me a lot.

I happened upon this site looking for more information about a necklace that I inherited from my mother. Well, a local jeweler told me it is not real, but I'm still intrigued and fascinated by the beauty of pearls, and now I want to educate myself more before venturing into buying a real necklace for myself.

Thank you and I look forward to learning a great deal.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Welcome to Pearl-Guide, mrsadm!

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Karman's Avatar

I have a bracelet from Belize just like it... there was a local jeweler who collects conch shells and carves pieces of the shells into beads to make jewelry.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Welcome Mrsadm ... happy to have you with us
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Those are some sad listings on Rubylane. Fake conch pearl necklaces and Chinese South Sea pearls ... if someone really purchased one of those "conch" necklaces they were ripped off big time.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

You are absolutely right, Jeremy. When I've complained in the past, very little is done.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

And just another reason not to trust appraisals. All three of those items have appraisals by someone named Donald Mackay. I don't know for sure, but the first one could be a necklace made with beads from a conch shell. The beads look large enough that most shells would be too small. The other two are clearly not even shells. They sort of remind me of dyed Chinese coral. None of the three are conch pearls.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Naan's Avatar

To much cheaters! So Sad!

Quote Originally Posted by amti View Post
    And just another reason not to trust appraisals. All three of those items have appraisals by someone named Donald Mackay. I don't know for sure, but the first one could be a necklace made with beads from a conch shell. The beads look large enough that most shells would be too small. The other two are clearly not even shells. They sort of remind me of dyed Chinese coral. None of the three are conch pearls.
    I realize this thread is pretty old, but I can't help notice the appraiser of these conch "pearls." I keep running across "appraisals" from this guy in all kinds of random places(online auctions, ebay, etsy, etc), on things I know are NOT what the "appraisal" claims, in either description or valuation. This David MacKay seems to be the goto appraiser for all kinds of cheap jewelry that shady dealers are trying to offlift. Next time I come across one I'll make sure to post it, but I've started to equate any "appraisal" of his with terrible quality fakes and exceedingly overestimated valuation. Ugh.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Awful!!!

I don't know if there are any regulations that govern or even license appraisers.

How many of us read the certificate on the wall or call to verify?

Macay is from Canada

Personally I have come across GIA grads that dont even know real pearls from fake...not defending him but maybe anyone can get appraisal stationary & sign it.

There is no lic #. I see a seal but can only make out Ontario. So who is to say he is a Gemologist/ Appraiser GIA?

D Macay issued a certificate on this..Not pearls but jade & thw appraisal does seem to be in depth.

http://bid.888auctions.com/lot/29839...69&ref=catalog

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Great thread! Thanks for bringing this one up...The job of an appraiser is to appraise the value of an object. The job of a gemologist is to assess and verify the content. The gemologist might provide documentation of content however, that will not express value (think GIA report). An appraiser might rely on that information for valuation. And certainly a jewelry appraiser can (and should) also be a gemologist, and have experience in evaluating design, materials, etc. There are professional boards that maintain code of ethical standards. When seeking an appraisal, evaluate the credentials of the individual. And always remember that appraisal and assessment are two different things.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

JP - excellent information ! I think many people confuse the two !
    Instagram Pearlzaustralia