Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sea Urchin's Avatar

"...He was thrilled, excited and impressed. It was an inexpensive activity, and the packaging was very honest and clear about exactly what kind of pearl was inside, AND how it got there..."

The above, from CathyKeshi, is how I could see the "pearl in a mussel" thing being great, perhaps mainly for children and with no deception involved.

I really can't believe all the lies-for-profit that are allowed when it comes to pearls, whether on ebay, at tourist destinations around the world or etcetera. It seems to me a whole lot of people should be in jail.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Urchin View Post
    "...He was thrilled, excited and impressed. It was an inexpensive activity, and the packaging was very honest and clear about exactly what kind of pearl was inside, AND how it got there..."

The above, from CathyKeshi, is how I could see the "pearl in a mussel" thing being great, perhaps mainly for children and with no deception involved.

I really can't believe all the lies-for-profit that are allowed when it comes to pearls, whether on ebay, at tourist destinations around the world or etcetera. It seems to me a whole lot of people should be in jail.
    I think this is where much of it stems from. I think the second half of this document has been removed since I found it a couple weeks ago, but there is still this statement:

https://www.securedcontent.net/vante...s-dialogue.pdf

Our Vantel Oyster Farm location is Ago Bay - Japan. This is where they are harvested and cared for.All of our pearls are AAA quality Akoya saltwater pearls. Pearls range from A to AAAA quality

The party organizers are probably valuing the pearls based on the chart on page nine:
    https://www.securedcontent.net/vante...rkbook-13b.pdf

It has this valuation chart, which claims the values are compiled by the National Pearl Association of the United States. As far as I know, this organization has never existed.

Attachment 45652
    Attached Images Attached Images  

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Isn't it remarkable that some of the pearls have spontaneously and naturally dyed themselves black in the shell.
    The valuations are a joke.
    Thanks for the sleuthing on these parasites Jeremy.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I really just don't buy the desire for the "experience" on this one...pulling a pearl from a shell...I'd much rather be presented with some clean pearls to choose from, along with a glass of champagne to sip, while deciding...and then watch my pearls being strung in front of me (or set in earrings/pendants/rings).

On the chart, Wow.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Here are three undrilled pearls from my mom, which I believe at least two (maybe all three because mom was not in the jewelry business and didn't repair pearls) came from the open an oyster thing. I did one while in high school, so late 70s and the others were probably before that. One is really ugly, one is really nice, and the other is good. They are all between 6.25-6.8mm.

Name:  DSC08655.jpg
Views: 22749
Size:  44.4 KBName:  DSC08645.jpg
Views: 22936
Size:  161.3 KB

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

In the late 70s they would have been akoyas.

This sort of thing is definitely unfortunate.

https://realdealpearls.com/

I am convinced it is the supplier's fault. I don't believe most of the people doing this know they are breaking the law any lying to people.

You are too generous Jeremy. I'm sure they know exactly what they are doing
    Snake oil salesmen know they are not selling snake oil.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Isn't it remarkable that some of the pearls have spontaneously and naturally dyed themselves black in the shell.
    Hahaha that's hilarious Pearlescence! Maybe they're going to sell the black pearls as Tahitians next time....

I heard of one pearl which turned up green and the quick as a flash reason was that 'the oyster must have been sick'

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post

I am convinced it is the supplier's fault. I don't believe most of the people doing this know they are breaking the law any lying to people.
    Deceit is a terrible business model...no matter how "exciting" it may be.

First, I want to personally thank the person that directed us to this thread. They have given us an enormous opportunity that many small business never have.

Second, I want to thank Jeremy for seeing this exactly as it is. We are committed to running an honest and transparent small business and it's more than frustrating to think that our supplier may have been less than honest with us. As such, we are preparing a sample from the supplier to be analyzed at an independent third party lab.

Real Deal Pearls is a family owned business that was founded for the sole purpose of making pearl jewelry affordable to women of all walks of life. Affordable luxury, that’s our motto. Many of you have seen, heard or experienced the recent uproar surrounding freshwater vs. Akoya saltwater pearls. Simply put, it is a PR nightmare for everyone involved. So, you can imagine our surprise when we awoke to an email this morning that accused us of being guilty of the same.

Our primary goal before ever going live was to source Akoya saltwater pearls for our customers. After looking at countless suppliers, we settled on one that we trusted. One that provided high quality pearls, shipped quickly and was extremely responsive to all of our probing questions.

Thanks to the email we received this morning, that supplier is now also in question. In the interest of honesty and transparency, we are in the process of removing all instances of “Akoya pearl” and “saltwater” from our website and marketing materials.

Again, we are also in the process of sending a sample from our supplier to an independent third party lab to be analyzed. We will then definitively know the origin and type of pearls that our supplier is sending us and publish that report.

We are also offering a full refund to anyone who has purchased a pearl from our shop through 10/20/2016.

I truly hope this thread reaches every small business marketing their oyster openings as Akoya pearls. There are quite a few that could surely benefit from knowing this information.

I think Jeremy is correct. I do NOT believe most people doing this KNOW they are being lied to by the supplier. I am just one that really investigates what something is and how it works by what to me are "experts" in the field such as yourselves before I actually "Jump in". Therefore, this thread and Jeremy investigating and letting people doing this KNOW what is right and what is not.

As I stated before, most wholesale suppliers state "Akoya Oyster" with "Real Pearl". Their wording is getting around the law for those that do NOT know this business and jump in. In reality the Oyster used IS an AKOYA! And the pearl is real but a freshwater not an Akoya Saltwater. The supplier's are playing on words! Very sneaky if you ask me!

Now I did get a quote for Akoya Oysters with Peals that was much higher than all others. So it's possible they are really Akoya Peals but taking this step is pretty scary to me at this point.

I would rather state they are Fresh Water Pearls or Cultured Pearls at this point to be honest in my business. That is IF I decide to do this after learning all this.

It would be nice to know what supplier's (wholesalers) can be trusted. Yet I know all of you work in the high end circles so probably wouldn't help in this instance.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and input!

Blessings

Lori

Hi RealDealPearls!

So glad this thread helped your company! I believe you had no idea for the reasons I have stated through this thread. I feel ya!

I applaud you for offering refunds! That is a huge expense to any business let alone a small business. It shows your character and I hope you are blessed for it.

Blessings

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by realdealpearls View Post
    First, I want to personally thank the person that directed us to this thread. They have given us an enormous opportunity that many small business never have.

Second, I want to thank Jeremy for seeing this exactly as it is. We are committed to running an honest and transparent small business and it's more than frustrating to think that our supplier may have been less than honest with us. As such, we are preparing a sample from the supplier to be analyzed at an independent third party lab.

Real Deal Pearls is a family owned business that was founded for the sole purpose of making pearl jewelry affordable to women of all walks of life. Affordable luxury, that’s our motto. Many of you have seen, heard or experienced the recent uproar surrounding freshwater vs. Akoya saltwater pearls. Simply put, it is a PR nightmare for everyone involved. So, you can imagine our surprise when we awoke to an email this morning that accused us of being guilty of the same.

Our primary goal before ever going live was to source Akoya saltwater pearls for our customers. After looking at countless suppliers, we settled on one that we trusted. One that provided high quality pearls, shipped quickly and was extremely responsive to all of our probing questions.

Thanks to the email we received this morning, that supplier is now also in question. In the interest of honesty and transparency, we are in the process of removing all instances of “Akoya pearl” and “saltwater” from our website and marketing materials.

Again, we are also in the process of sending a sample from our supplier to an independent third party lab to be analyzed. We will then definitively know the origin and type of pearls that our supplier is sending us and publish that report.

We are also offering a full refund to anyone who has purchased a pearl from our shop through 10/20/2016.

I truly hope this thread reaches every small business marketing their oyster openings as Akoya pearls. There are quite a few that could surely benefit from knowing this information.