Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well there you go...you learn something new everyday! I had no idea you could order up pickled oysters with specific colour pearls inside lol I'd heard of the practice of 'find a pearl' but had no idea you could order grade and colour ! That's where I got confused lol

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Pickled oysters? Oh my...I think I'd prefer mine on the half shell.
    Actually though, and maybe this is just me...but I think that "finding" a pearl in a mollusk that has been preserved by embalming is a tad nasty and gross. I really don't see the "fun" in this at all...so sorry if I offend, but I think the whole premise of this is rather disgusting.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert hanadama's Avatar

Ditto. I find it really gross.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

What's really sad, and I and probably other sellers encounter people who have bought into this flim-flam and been told the pearl is worth and the basket thing sold for it cost when it's nasty thin plated. And I'm looking at this dull lumpy potato pearl worth about three pence if that. Do I tell the truth - they were conned - or go along with the lie?
    I hate it

Lugana
    I know of one place where 'diver' jump off a pier into the sea and bring up..freshwater pearls so why not the other way round.
    The reason why akoya aren't used is probably because they would be dearer.
    Name:  wish.jpg
Views: 4684
Size:  23.4 KB
    here is a picture of one seller's offering out of many. start price 99c usd, less for bulk orders and moq of 50.
    I wish the sellers of this deception no joy or success

First-graft Pearl Senior Member Lugana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I wish the sellers of this deception no joy or success
    I see your point here, but you speak as an industry professional who deals with customers who love and want pearls i.e. well prepared, aware customers. You are lucky to have them. But there is another side to it as well.

These oyster thing is just a presentation that offers a different form of experience to a certain group of people. It's pearl-related, but the pearl itself is not the selling point.

In this particular case people are buying the experience - the fuss, the excitement, the illusion, the performance. And not the product.

People are not stupid after all - have you ever seen a person who got a pearl out of such an oyster, the shop assistant tells him it's 75 pounds worth (while the oyster was 10 pounds) - and the impressed customer says "I will buy them ALL! I feel so lucky today and I want a full necklace out of these pearls!". No way. The memory of this single-time experience is most likely to be the only thing that would make them wear the pearl. Probably it would be the only pearl they have as well.

It's same as looking at cobra whisperers in India or throwing a few coins to "levitating" street acts in Barcelona. If it makes some people happy - why not? Almost any industry is full of doubtful promises and illusions, from magical wrinkle-cures to 99% bacteria killing cleaners, some people want it - some people don't.

What's really sad, and I and probably other sellers encounter people who have bought into this flim-flam and been told the pearl is worth and the basket thing sold for it cost when it's nasty thin plated. And I'm looking at this dull lumpy potato pearl worth about three pence if that. Do I tell the truth - they were conned - or go along with the lie?
    I hate it
    You don't have to lie of course. If I was ever asked to see/ evaluate such a pearl, I would just try not to fall into the usual new hairdresser's comments like "Oh who did THAT to your hair")) I would probably say something general like it's not the best pearl I've ever seen and that oyster digging is not really the best way to shop for quality pearls.
    As for the appraised value certificates - I anyway consider them just paper, whoever they come from, as the only real value of the pearls for me is the price tag I've actually paid, so I wouldn't give any significance to them whatsoever.
    The silver-plated mountings promised to be solid silver shouldn't happen at all, that's fraud. That's where the reputable sellers differ from amateurs. I would probably suggest re-setting the pearl, if the customer shows any concern with the current setting. I don't really like commenting in a bad manner on any other sellers' activity as it most likely will upset the client who already spent some money with them.

Nothing like the same. Yours is a cynical deception, preying on people's ignorance of pearls. Comes close to fraud in my book - especially if you are issuing a certificate and appraisal. How on earth are customers who know nothing about pearls supposed to know that it is just a 'piece of paper' and a jolly jape souvenir.
    I'm speaking as a professional, yes, one who people approach wearing your tat and saying, oh I was told it was worth $$$...and you want me to continue with your lies, to cover up for you. No!

and you want me to continue with your lies, to cover up for you. No!
    Oh dear. I didn't say a word that would deserve such a reply
    Neither I asked you to cover me for anything, nor I said I issue any certificates myself, and have you actually ever seen any piece of my jewellery (my own? the ones I sell for charity? - I don't know which ones you referred to) before publicly calling it a tat?)
    I was referring to an existing example of a well-known retail chain here, they do feature this product and by no means one could ever call them deceptive to clients in any way. I wouldn't discourage you from being the first one though.
    I hope a careful reader would ignore your interpretation of my words and actually see what I meant. End of discussion for me here - goes too far from the initial post anyway.

If you do not participate in this sham Lugana, I totally apologise.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lekrtk00 View Post
    Hi Jeremy!

Yes you are correct on where I am at. But I wouldn't want to lie about the pearls! So are you saying there are no actual Akoya shells that have real Akoya pearls in them? This is really disturbing to me. I had found the sources everyone has in here already so thank you all for those.

So what are these farms doing? Are they just inserting the whole pearl into the shells then selling them? Sorry just confused and wanting to do the right thing. And yes everyone I am speaking of party pearls in the actual oyster. It is getting very big here in the US. And if I do this I would be doing bulk purchases.

I have found some wholesalers in Cali what do you all think of them?

Thanks for all your advice it's much appreciated.

Blessings

Lori
    Hi Lori,

The farms are not involved in the process. Baby shells are purchased from hatcheries and pearls are inserted at factories. The shells, especially the freshwater, are juveniles. They are too small to have grown a pearl. The akoya shells are a bit closer to farm-able size, but the factories are still inserting freshwater pearls into them.

The easiest way to tell are the colors. When you see a natural peach or lavender pearl harvested, it's a dead giveaway the pearl is freshwater. When you see a black pearl harvested, you know that is impossible in nature. The pearl has already been dyed.

Shape is the next telltale sign. The pearls are always very off round to very slightly off round. They aren't inserting loose-grade pearls into the shells. The pearls, even freshwater, would cost more than they are selling the wish pearl set for. Akoya pearls are, by and large, perfectly symmetrical due to the bead.

Of all the wholesale operations I've seen, even those that promise the shells have akoya pearls inside, all of them have been freshwater. I've not seen a single one with akoya pearls. I've spent some time speaking with the young lady who started the viral "Open an Oyster" on Facebook and her supplier swore up and down they were akoya pearls. I watched her show and the pearls were without question freshwater pearls.

The advice I gave her was to call the pearls cultured pearls. Freshwater pearls are cultured pearls. Her show creates a lot of excitement. The audience loves to watch. As long as the pearls pulled from the shells aren't referred to as "akoya pearls," she isn't breaking any laws.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    Well there you go...you learn something new everyday! I had no idea you could order up pickled oysters with specific colour pearls inside lol I'd heard of the practice of 'find a pearl' but had no idea you could order grade and colour ! That's where I got confused lol
    Voila, that's what I thought, Katbran... I didn't know that you could order the quality and color of the fwps inserted in the shells. I thought the company would just insert low quality fwps to make profit.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Are akoya pearls trademarked, Jeremy?

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

It's not that they are trademarked. Akoya pearls are pearls cultured in Pictada fucata oysters. They are different pearls than freshwater pearls-- a different entity, with different quality of nacre (sharper luster), and more valuable.

Selling freshwater pearls as akoyas is false advertising.

In Europe selling freshwaters as akoya, or even giving the impression that freshwaters were akoya would be applying a false trade description and a breach of European consumer law. I know of two wish pearl operations which have been shut down by trading standards officers in the UK because of their grossly inflated and misleading descriptions of the pearls