Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member moneymeister's Avatar

Thanks Cathy and Kevin.

I just finished reading this very long thread. I'm sorry to say, I bought over a $1,000 usd of these fakes. I was researching the best way to get into this business (as advertised) to have fun and make a little extra cash. As the research progress, I accidentally clicked this forum, and discovered how stupidly and blindly I fell for something that seemed like a lot of fun! I'm an educated person, a nurse, love to help people, and to bring a smile to anyone's life. I thought this would be another way to do that. OOOHHH WHAT A FOOL!! After reading this forum, I was crying (which distressed my husband greatly), and hate that I could have been a part of this scam. Now I have a ton of this CRAP. Guess what is going in costume jewelry case,,,,a whole lotta shame.

I'm very thankful to have been able to read your thread. I love pearls. I don't own any, and knowing what I do have, is so disheartening.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Lenora, I'm sorry you lost so much money to this venture. Thank you for sharing your story.

Since you love pearls, you may wish to put a pearl necklace or some studs on your next holiday wish list?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Lenora, I'm sorry for your distress, but commend your effort to educate yourself. Hoping you got some pretty freshwater pearls at least, that you could maybe make into some honest jewelry to help offset your dismay. Fresh waters can be very lovely, when used creatively and marketed truthfully. Hope you'll stay and enjoy the beauty and wonder of pearls with us ... you'll be amazed and delighted!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I am so sorry you were taken by this scam. I do hope you will continue to post and learn about how wonderful (and affordable) fine pearls can be!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Leonora: I'm so sorry that you lost money to this scam, but I believe your post will help other people before they fall for it.

The pearls you have are not fakes. They are real pearls. They are just not the type or quality of pearls they are advertised as being. I hope this does not sour you on pearls, as there are many beautiful ones out there for you to enjoy with out the mess or heartache.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member moneymeister's Avatar

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. If it helps, I am talking to smart, wonderful folks who accidently fell into this (as consultants or buyers) and spent money on the pearls. I have a facebook group that educates about the oyster parties and talk to people daily. I have seen some very shoddy items and it's a shame. Have also seen frank anger and hate from the folks who want to continue the hoax.
    How fortunate you found out now and not further down the road.

Please don't feel badly, there was no way for you to know.

I do hope you hang around. There are amazing pearls to seen and collected.

Angry What is VANTEL really selling?

Vantel Pearls - they sell you Akoya Oysters that have freshwater pearls implanted inside? That really sounds like Fraud to me, as most consultants make it sound like the oyster is actually the host that made the pearl? What is Vantel truly selling here? I need to educate my friends that are so interested in these Online Pearl Parties, I don't them to get suckered into something that is fraudulent, or at least, I want them to know what they are actually buying into! Cheap pearls! Pffffff grrrrrr!!!!

I was investigating on how to become a consultant thru Vantel, however , I'm definitely NOT interested anymore! It has, however, peaked my interest into researching about pearls in general, and since I already craft jewelry, I'd love to implement real pearls into my jewelry designs. I do have a pearl drilling machine, and I want to make high-quality pearl jewelry for my daughters/myself/family, and possibly sell some of my pieces as well.

By the way, thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge and saving the few of us from making a VERY stupid mistake!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    You can find companies all over Alibaba that offer these. There are typically two kinds: freshwater mussels with a small freshwater pearl and akoya mollusks with a small freshwater pearl inside. There are no companies in China that insert akoya into those shells.

I did some research last week and found one company in Japan that was inserting genuine akoya pearls into akoya shells for a "wish pearl" sort of operation. I don't know who or where those shells are being sold. All the companies I've seen here in the US (Vantel, Pearl Factory, pearl parties on Facebook) "harvest" freshwater pearls from akoya oysters.

I contacted Vantel Pearls via their Social Media Facebook page... I can't get a straight answer to save my life!!! They said they use "Freshwater Pearls"... and I asked "and they are in Akoya Oyster Shells"... the answer was "I believe so".... I proceeded to ask even more direct answers and I was referred to talk to either a consultant or call their phone number, which the phone number is so tied up , I can't get thru.

So WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL...why so evasive, aren't they not obligated by law to tell their customers what is it that we are exactly buying when it comes to the oyster and pearl itself?

Has anyone looked into Pearl Chic? They seem to be a rather new "Open on FB" company. They claim to have authentic akoya pearls but I have seen them pull colors like electric blue and bright reds. Someone asked about it on their main FB page and they replied that it's a new way of harvesting that creates the colors.

Pearls13,
    Not only are electric blue and bright red pearls dyed freshwater pearls that have been dyed at the factory (NOT a new way of harvesting), but Pearl Chic is using a stolen photo of Tahitian pearls taken by Josh Humbert of Kamoka Farms and published in National Geographic.

The National Geographic article with Josh's photo:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-environment/

One of the pages on Pearl Chic with the stolen photo (other pages also have this photo):
    http://pearlchic.mysimplestore.com/products?page=8
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 02-13-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Pearls13,
    Not only are electric blue and bright red pearls dyed freshwater pearls that have been dyed at the factory (NOT a new way of harvesting), but Pearl Chic is using a stolen photo of Tahitian pearls taken by Josh Humbert of Kamoka Farms and published in National Geographic.

The National Geographic article with Josh's photo:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...s-environment/

One of the pages on Pearl Chic with the stolen photo (other pages also have this photo):
    http://pearlchic.mysimplestore.com/products?page=8
    Wow, can't even get the right pearl for their pictures lol

Do we have any certified parties here that could determine by a picture alone if pearls are authentic akoya? Or even could have a sample sent to them?

Pearls13, if you got them from a pearl opening party, they are cultured Chinese freshwater pearls!

If they come from some other source, post photos and we'll give you our opinion.
    • Clear, in-focus photos in either natural light or artificial light (but no flash),
    • Some should be close-ups (including closeups of any flaws).
    • Use a ruler to estimate size.
    • Tell us whatever history you can about them. How you came to have them, and any other history you are aware of.

We actually have a whole forum for this sort of question; a lot of people want to know what kinds of pearls they have:
    http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/for...arls-do-I-have

Can you give me a name for a vendor for Akoya oysters? I'm wanting to buy those that are vacuumed pack for my girls to open at home