Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

An update: I sent the listing pictures to one of the managers at the Las Vegas boutique, and he said by all appearances it appears to be genuine. I'm going to send it in after I receive it though, and get it appraised and re-strong. I'm tickled!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

If it is an older necklace, it won't have the dangling M, which was added a few years ago (at least ten, I think). Mom has a Miki with the dangling M and although I have pictures, I don't have any of the back of the clasp. When she bought hers, it came in a nice box with a very nice pearl folder. I don't have pictures of that, but you can see part of it on the left of this picture. The necklace and bracelet on the right are also Mikis, but one of their lower brands (Sea Magic?). And I think I used a flash so you can't see the pink tones.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

gandkbenson: That's very encouraging! Please keep us posted. If it is genuine, you got a fantastic find!

Well, they came today. Poshmark thinks they're real, and so does my local jeweler. To be honest, they're not as pretty as I thought they would be. I can see when looking very close quite a few imperfections, which surprised me. Maybe my expectations were too high? I also think they are smaller than she represented, though they're not a bad size. I am going to send them in and see what Mikimoto says. I'm afraid I have buyer's remorse. if I could figure out how to load pictures for you guys, I would!

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Virtually all (if not all) strands will have some imperfections, gandkbenson. Also, like all pearl vendors, Mikimoto offers differing grades of pearls.

Give them a chance, wear them under different lighting conditions. I find that white pearls don't generally look their best in bright daylight.

Here are instructions for uploading photos from your computer (I don't have a smartphone so can't describe how to upload from one):

1. Click on Go Advanced, then Manage Attachments. This opens a small window, the File Upload Manager.
    2. Click the green + button to "Add files".
    3. Click "Choose File". This opens a large window to your computer files. Find the photo file you want to upload.
    4. Highlight the one you selected and Choose it. The large window will go away.
    5. On the small File Upload Manager window you should now see the name of the file you have chosen. Click "Upload".
    6. Next to Manage Attachments you should now see the name of the photo you have uploaded.
    7. If you have more photos to upload, repeat the process-- click "Choose File" on the small File Upload Manager window, etc.
    8. When you are done uploading, click Preview Post to see your post, or just Submit.
    9. If you want to add more photos or remove photos later, return to Manage Attachments.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 10-08-2016 at 11:23 PM.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Hello . My company has dealt with M.........valuation for 40 years. I feel its not the clasp just like it isn't the three pointed symbol on
    a Mercedes. Quality of the pearls that count. The same vendor who sells to M......... also sells to others, altho' on a different level.
    Some folks buy cheap strands attached to a M...........clasp on Ebay and reattach to something nicer to deceive . So buy the pearls not
    the clasp.

I have a strand of Blue Lagoon pearls, which is a less expensive brand of Mikimoto, and they are stunning. Not as stunning as my mother's Mikimoto AA strands, but much nicer than some of my early purchases (30 years ago). I see no imperfections in my Blue Lagoon strand.

I think having Mikimoto look at them is still an excellent idea.

I'm sure the pearls are real pearls. The question is, are they real Mikimoto pearls?

Does Posh have a good return policy?

Yes, they have a good return policy. They are packaged up and ready to send off to M tomorrow, but it is quite expensive to have them evaluate the strand. They are very pretty, just not perfect. I am super Duper picky though. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. As I walked around with them today, they feel high quality. I just don't know what to expect I guess!

An update for you guys: I took the strand to be checked by a local jeweler who sells Imperial pearls. He measured them at 7.5mm, felt that the clasp was authentic, and the pearls the real deal. I'm so skeptical because of the flaws I see, but they are now en route to Mikimoto in NY. Thank you all again for your input. I'll keep you posted. Here are some pictures I took, including blemishesName:  IMG_1875.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  39.9 KBName:  IMG_1874.jpg
Size:  66.8 KBName:  IMG_1875.jpg
Size:  39.9 KB.
    Name:  IMG_1912.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  14.6 KBName:  IMG_1873.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  46.5 KBName:  IMG_1877.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  45.7 KB

By "the real deal" I assume he verified that they are cultured akoya pearls. I don't see how he could know they are Mikimoto pearls specifically.

But then I don't think Mikimoto can know whether they are Mikimoto pearls either. I would think the only thing they could certify is the clasp.

However if the clasp proves to be fake, then I would assume the pearls are also not Miki brand pearls.

I know, it's a conundrum! Real deal meaning good quality cultured pearls.. I'm having the strand restrung and appraised with Miki so I'm anxious to see how they're graded, etc. This has been a very good lesson for me, and I would never go about it without paperwork, etc., again. Experience is the best teacher, right?

I've heard it said that Experience is a hard teacher-- it gives the test first, and teaches the lesson afterward.

Indeed. �� Oh and by the way everyone, Posh would not let me return these. Another hard lesson. They would not listen to my concerns, though they did tell me to let them know what Mikimoto says.

Well this has been interesting and thank you so much for keeping us all posted ! Too often we hear the beginning of a story only to never find out how it ends. We do appreciate your efforts in letting us follow your journey ! Either way you have a lovely strand of pearls . Whether or not they are Miki quality time will tell. And NO returns ! Even if misrepresented? Hmmmmm

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member kalmen22's Avatar

Do let us know how it goes. What was the reason stated as no return? That is frustrating.