Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: What's Cooking?

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

How have I not been following this thread??

PD, that bread looks heavenly. I've been following a ketogenic way of eating lately, so I'm experimenting with baking with almond and coconut flours. I've made decent pie crusts and cookies, but bread recipes I've tried have been sad. Have you ever tried any nut-based flours for breads?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LiliasTreasures

Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member asurazzy's Avatar

I made this. Just a banana brownie with almonds n choco chips. All gone now. RIP brownie!

Recipe:
    200 gr 70% dark chocolate + 50 gr cocoa powder + 150 gr butter all melted together over bain marie then add 1 tsp salt n a dash of vanilla.

Add 75gr raw sugar + 75 gr dark brown sugar and mix well into the melted chocolate. Then cracked one by one 5 eggs n mix well into the chocolate.

Add in mashed up 3 big blackened over ripe bananas + 150 gr flour + 50 gr skim milk powder + dash of baking soda n baking powder. Add in almonds + chocolate chips.

Pour into rectangular baking tin lined with baking paper into preheated oven 130 degrees Celcious for 45 minutes to an hour. Or check until done.

Let cool. Bring it to your office n stuff ur workmates faces n bribe ur bosses for promotion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by asurazzy; 10-23-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Oh does that look good, asurazzy! Bananas are great with chocolate!

Recipe please?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Oh does that look good, asurazzy! Bananas are great with chocolate!

Recipe please?
    I just edited the post n put on reciped Pearldreams. But using metric haha. Dunno cups sizes.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Yummy...more carbs!!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Quote Originally Posted by battah View Post
    How have I not been following this thread??

PD, that bread looks heavenly. I've been following a ketogenic way of eating lately, so I'm experimenting with baking with almond and coconut flours. I've made decent pie crusts and cookies, but bread recipes I've tried have been sad. Have you ever tried any nut-based flours for breads?
    I am watching my carbs as well, battah, so my husband eats most of the bread!

It's funny you should ask about nut flours as just 2 weeks ago I bought a bag of almond flour for the express purpose of substituting some of the flour in my breads. Already I've baked 2 things with it that turned out wonderful:
    1. I substituted 1/3 of the bread flour called for in an eggy bread I make in my bread machine. (1 cup of the 3 called for.) The 3 eggs in the recipe helped the bread to rise despite having less gluten.

I suggest you buy a bag of vital wheat gluten and add 1 tablespoon of it to your bread mix for each cup of wheat flour you omit/substitute. It will help add structure to the bread so that it rises properly.

2. I substituted some of the flour in a brownie recipe. The recipe called for 1.5 cups of flour and I substituted 1/3 cup of almond flour for the same amount of unbleached all purpose flour. The brownies came out a little softer than usual but very nice. I like brownies chewier so I cut one from the pan and froze it! Delicious straight out of the freezer! (That was my big splurge.)

I use the almond flour also to make fluffy egg white omelets. I like to buy cartons of liquid egg whites. I poured an unmeasured amount into a bowl (enough for one good sized omelet), added a generously rounded tablespoon of almond flour and another of ground flax seed, whisked them into the egg whites, and made the omelet in a nonstick pan brushed lightly with olive oil. When done, I slipped it out onto a plate, filled one side with frozen berries (nuked a bit in microwave to partially thaw) and folded it over. Really nice! You can sweeten it a bit if you like with stevia or other sweetener.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 10-23-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Woowww everybody is on a diet...i have no diet recipe...all my food is full of bacon or carbs or chocolate...
    Like this one. Sure people know oyster kilpatric.

Crisp up diced bacon or panchetta on a pan. Put 12 big half shelled oyster on a baking tin, spoon over Worcestershire sauce on top and spoon over the chrisp up bacon. Put under the grill for 2 or 3 minutes then devour while its hot with glass of wine or if u r my hubby with a glass of beer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by asurazzy View Post
    I just edited the post n put on reciped Pearldreams. But using metric haha. Dunno cups sizes.
    Thank you! I'll use my kitchen scale and figure it out.

I just took this loaf out of the pot. It has 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 2.5 cups bread flour (which has more gluten and helps compensate for the fact that whole wheat flour has less gluten than all purpose flour does.) I added about half a tablespoon each of hulled millet and black sesame seeds, for crunch. Whole wheat flour flour requires a bit more water than all purpose flour does. I added a little extra water. After slicing it, when it's cooled a bit, I'll update this post with a new photo.

I think next time I'll try substituting one cup of almond flour and see how it turns out. I think it may lose chewiness, though using bread flour instead of all purpose flour may help with that.

multigrain loaf.jpg

Okay here it is, sliced:

multigrain, sliced.jpg
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 10-23-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Woowww look at that sliced! Paul hollywood n marry berry will be proud! I can sniff if from here! Your house must be smelling like heaven right now...

It was tasty! But next time I'm varying the ingredients in that last loaf. I keep track of my experiments so that I know how to modify the recipe the next time.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Glad to see you all are participating in this thread again. Here is a quick one I got from Oprah.com

Spaghetti al Limone

silky, no-cook sauce of Parmesan, lemon zest and olive oil coats spaghetti strands like cream.
    Servings: Serves 6

Ingredients
    1 pound spaghetti
    1 1/2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
    2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
    2 cups firmly packed basil leaves , slivered

Directions
    In a large pot, cook spaghetti in salted, boiling water until al dente. Place a colander over a large serving bowl, then drain spaghetti into it (hot water will warm bowl). Pour water from bowl, wipe bowl dry, then empty spaghetti into it.

Meanwhile, combine cheese and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl. Gradually beat in olive oil until mixture becomes thick and creamy and cheese "melts" into oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in lemon zest.

Pour sauce over cooked spaghetti in serving bowl; toss thoroughly.
    Add basil, toss again and serve.

more: http://www.oprah.com/food/spaghetti-...#ixzz4x8vbPPxp

For you US folks and the Holiday coming up, I thought by now for sure you guys would be sharing recipes .

Someone had a late night snack...pie raiding is a problem here LOL.

SWEETPPIE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearlDudeDC View Post
    For you US folks and the Holiday coming up, I thought by now for sure you guys would be sharing recipes .

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

I made Chicken Makhani over the weekend and naan bread. It's my favorite Indian dish but I had never tried making it before. I didn't realize it's not really unhealthy!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/45957/c...utter-chicken/

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

PAC-MAN?

I love cooking Indian food. I can go nuts with spices.

Bread is my kryptonite. I love it, but my endocrinologist told me to back off the carbs. So far, I haven't managed it, because my Dad keeps giving me frozen bread to take home. He loves good bread.

I wanted to try almond flour, but I choked on the price. It was something like $12 for a small bag of it, so I put it back. There's an almond cake recipe I want to try that is 100% almond flour.