Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert ckrickett's Avatar

Default Anyone else have a weakness for unnecessary luxury items

Not Pearls or Jewelry mind you. More like Handbags, very nice wine, skincare/makeup.

I find I am very economical with certain things, and I super duper splurge on others. I am always fascinated how other people treat themselves to things, that may not be necessary for survival, but are fun and appreciated in different ways.

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Oh I love this topic!
    I am very economical with things like vehicles, food (I maybe do a high end dinner out once per year), travel (I LOVE to travel, but I prefer low end travel), clothes and shoes (I've adopted a uniform way of dressing so I don't buy on trend, but when I do buy in this area I try to buy the best I can afford, though not often), housing (I don't own a home and currently my housing is provided by my employer, though I'd like to purchase a small place in Sicily in the near future).
    I absolutely splurge on jewelry and jewelry projects, travel (even low end travel is a splurge for me bc I don't currently get paid time off), outdoor recreation (field gear gets lumped here), and photography gear.

Consumer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert kelluvpearls's Avatar

I just purchased an expensive Chinese food supplement when there's a less expensive substitute. but I love nice food. I guess another splurge will be food, I love eating.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Okay, I'll play There are many things I can live without, or the frugal versions at least. A few I can't: Down pillows, Travel of any sort be it camping or fancier, great binoculars, and BOOKS ... published, ebooks, online books, articles on Jade ... any reading material or books. So I'll add to my luxury list, the source of much of the above ... my MacBook. Hmmmmmm ... it could be my "do without or do frugal" might be shorter than my luxury list LOL. Fun, and funny post Ckrickett.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I find that what I splurge on is constantly shifting along with my interests. I spend a couple of years indulging in an obsession and then move on ... But food and travel are a constant !

I love to Splurge on unique beauty items, handbags, Food, and skincare. I don;t travel to much because of health issues, and I am an artist so I get paint on all my clothes so no nice clothes or shoes for me. But I love skincare and makeup so I will spend a lot of that. I just Bought some Kashoen brushes (granted a smaller set and small cleanser brush to see if I wanted to invest in a nicer one) and I bought the Blush that looks like rose petals because I like to pretend Im fancy pants. Oh and pearls!

Also on art supplies!!! When a prominent art store went out of business down here I dropped THOUSANDS on supplies. My poor studio looks like a warehouse now!

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    I find that what I splurge on is constantly shifting along with my interests. I spend a couple of years indulging in an obsession and then move on ... But food and travel are a constant !
    Me too! My DH is the same way. His interests are expensive, although he will never admit it.

OK, at the moment I'm splurging on pearls. But I have a weakness for books, weaving and spinning equipment, and tiaras. Yes, you read that right. I only buy the ones that look real, or like replicas of real ones. I stay away from anything resembling a beauty queen or party tiara.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

BWeaves, we are going to need Tiara photos now
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Tucs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Mom a;sldkfjas;ldfj;laskjdf;laskjdf;lskadjf;lkjsfd

Attachment 40585
    Ha, at first I thought your cat must have typed that first line, but I'm going to be pretty impressed if a cat has attempted to post an attachment!

I don't have any photos. But sometimes my weaving friends get together and I bring the tiaras, and we have a tiara and movie night. Wine is involved.

Oh, sorry about that post. I thought I'd found a photo of me and my Mom wearing tiaras, and I was testing it. But it wasn't a tiara photo, and it wouldn't let me post unless I typed something longer. I was going to go back and fix it, but then . . .

I'm sorry, it's scotch o'clock.

Did I mention I collect good scotch and irish whiskey?

I love Tiaras! I had a celtic elven Tiara with Pearls made for my wedding!! Id love to see pictures of yours!

Yes Bweaves. I think we must positively demand tiara pics whenever you get a chance!

41vsuoWo1bL._AC_UL320_SR270,320_.jpg
    81de72-l.jpg
    07021133_5594a30aa8663.jpg
    11202007_546dcb5e0fae5.jpg

These are my new things I will be getting soon! <3 I need to stop ordering makeup and skincare though I just restocked all m SK-II and Tatcha products and lawd, that did a number on me!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

OK, first, I have to say I want a job where I can wear a gown and a tiara every day (well, maybe not the gown, but definitely the tiara!)

Second, I love this thread...my mother wore a bracelet with a charm which was engraved: "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." She always taught me to buy the very best I could afford when it came to clothing, handbags, shoes and jewelry. My grandfather was a used car dealer, so we never drove new cars. Of course the most important lesson she taught us, it really isn't yours until it is paid for...and don't buy anything you cannot afford!

Third, and I don't really count this as a luxury good...good skin care costs $$$, as does good hair care...I have a ton invested in both, as both are necessities.