Page 60 of 64 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: The JADE thread

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I had no idea jade was so expensive until I inherited my Mom's jade bangle and bought Renee Newman's book on Jade.

I'm having my bangle appraised when I get Mom's rings appraised. I'm really curious what it's worth. It's hinged, so not worth as much as the solid bangles, but the color is very good.

I think most people look at a jade bangle and think quartz O-ring or plastic costume jewelry. I would have fainted, too. It's a stone I wasn't all that familiar with, and now I'm trying to learn more.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Camelotshadow View Post
    I've seen bangle with hinges & they have some in sections connected with gold. They can be cheaper as its not all one big piece of jade.

I'm not into bracelets & rarely wear them as I hate hitting them all over the place. Don't really like beads on my neck either as its sort of cumbersome but could be tempted by some tahitians...
    Lol on the Ts... Yes, I think all of us here could be easily swayed by a nice strand!

I've seen some hinged bracelets but there is something to be said about slipping a bangle over your hands. It is very feminine. I doubt most guys could do it and pull off wearing a nice bangle. It would probably be very bulky. I do agree I don't like the banging. I think that's why you get measured so the bangle rests as close to your wrist as possible. I have a thin jade bangle that I've had for years. I probably bought it in HK around 1982 but it never fit me right. I didn't know how to shop for bangles back then and probably bought it bc everyone said you were supposed to buy jade in HK (the worst reason to buy something, right?). I learned how to fit a bangle reading this forum... you ladies are a wealth of knowledge!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by battah View Post
    Did you all see this story this morning? http://www.ladbible.com/now/weird-wo...=1498657710297
    Poor lady!!! :'(

Oh gosh that poor family ! That sum could have easily emptied the bank account.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

For her sake, I hope they can prove the bangle had a flaw!
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

I did wonder if there was a flaw that caused it to crack like that..that's really bad luck. I would have expected maybe a chip if the market is on concrete but I was surprised it broke in half. Heres an interesting bit from the GIA

"Jadeite is 6.5 to 7 and nephrite is 6 to 6.5 on the Mohs hardness scale, so some care should be taken to avoid scratches. However, both of these gemstones have exceptional toughness and are very resistant to breaking or chipping."

Inactive Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    I did wonder if there was a flaw that caused it to crack like that..that's really bad luck.
    A solid jade bangle probably shouldn't break when dropped on most floors. Malls often have ceramic tiles and that's not good for any intricate piece. I'd be wary to handle jade without carpets or mats.

Jade can have fractures (identical mineral, separated) or cleavages (different minerals, brought together) or folded like bread dough A lapidary will cut around fractures for jade blanks so you'll likely see cleaves more often. Those mixes, especially if they're somewhat homogeneous are really attractive. Some cleaves break easily, some with force and some none at all.

Katbran, bad luck in so many ways...

Dave, thank you. I can imagine that jade is very difficult to carve. I will say this, I wear my bangles often, and I've never gotten a scratch on any of them.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Camelotshadow View Post
    My nephrite bangle is from Jade West. Beautiful stuff.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

I'd like to have a piece of jade but its really not easy to know if its been dyed.
    I would not spend alot. Still green is not high on my list but really love the lavendar & the creamy.

I really am not one for bangles as my wrists are small & most bangles are too big.

So Oh that poor woman & the incredible accident she had dropping it. I thought my chipped pearl was a bummer!

lb's are more than dollars & I don't think many averge people have that much spare cash in the bank.

I suppose if you didn't pay in that country they would put you in jail or worse.

No such thing as bankruptcy & then of course I guess you could lose your house.

Why did it break like that? Its almost in 2 equal halves as if it was cut. I suppose it could break so evenly & smoothly but its not highly probable. I guess they would give her the 2 halves. I certainly can see gold caps put on the ends & linked or hinged together.
    It still could have value then...

Camelot, as with any jewelry, you must have a source you trust. There are certainly ways to tell if jadeite has been dyed, polymerized, etc. Jade bangles aren't measured by the width of your wrist, they are measured by your hand (what will slide over your knuckles with lotion or soap). I've seen bangles in all size ranges from 40mm to over 70mm. And you can certainly find Type A jadeite for very little. I paid under $150 for this oneIMG_2085.jpg
    Of course this piece is far from perfect, but I love the colors and character of it. It is a very soft mint green with light grey and a wonderful patch of honey.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

It also looks like it is attempting to phase into an ever so slight lavender. While the colors are not the same colors, seeing minty colored jade with hints of lavender that is what inspired some prehnite and rose quartz ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Camelot, as with any jewelry, you must have a source you trust. There are certainly ways to tell if jadeite has been dyed, polymerized, etc. Jade bangles aren't measured by the width of your wrist, they are measured by your hand (what will slide over your knuckles with lotion or soap). I've seen bangles in all size ranges from 40mm to over 70mm. And you can certainly find Type A jadeite for very little. I paid under $150 for this oneIMG_2085.jpg
    Of course this piece is far from perfect, but I love the colors and character of it. It is a very soft mint green with light grey and a wonderful patch of honey.

I love any and all pastel combos...that sounds great BPDDC.

JP - I love the colours in that bangle..like you I think it creates character in the piece. And a good buy as well !