Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

Thread: The JADE thread

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I have seen dyed jades with many colors...they can be hideous, or quite lovely. Kind of like dyed pearls. There are ways to tell, and as with pearls, careful close inspection as well as a trusted source are always your best bet. Since Icy assumed her piece is not Type A (untreated, natural) it might not be worth the effort to certify. From what I understand, with the correct equipment, it is a relatively straightforward test. Jade is very commonly bleached to remove impurities, dyed and stabilized. Type A has no treatments (other than polishing).
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Icyjade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    My lavender jadeite is Type A, and I was wearing it a few weeks ago while walking my pup...well I tripped and face planted on the side walk and hearing a beautiful chime, I thought...oh no, and I feared looking down at my wrist. The bangle was perfect, not even a scratch! And it saved me from breaking my wrist, as I had a huge bruise where the bangle hit my lower thumb, just above the wrist. Only damage was to the crystal on my ceramic watch...even that didn't break! And while I was pretty scraped up, I'm all healed now.

Icy, there are a few labs known for their skill at identifying jadeite located in Singapore. You can always have it tested to know for sure.
    Your jade saved you! So glad it wasn't a bad fall.

I know about the labs but the cost to certify will probably exceed how much I paid for my new bangle. Could do a simple FTIR test but even then it will be a significant fraction of the bangle cost so yeah, really not worth it.

I have seen dyed jades with many colors...they can be hideous, or quite lovely. Kind of like dyed pearls. There are ways to tell, and as with pearls, careful close inspection as well as a trusted source are always your best bet. Since Icy assumed her piece is not Type A (untreated, natural) it might not be worth the effort to certify. From what I understand, with the correct equipment, it is a relatively straightforward test. Jade is very commonly bleached to remove impurities, dyed and stabilized. Type A has no treatments (other than polishing).
    Completely agree re: dyed pearls. In fact since loads of white pearls are bleached, you could even compare bleached pearls to Grade B jade vs natural whites to Grade A jade... or take chocolate Tahitians... it may appeal to some and not to others.

I bought knowing it's nearly impossible for the bangle to be Grade A jade and absolutely don't mind. Can well imagine jadeite purists shuddering in horror but having seen genuine grade A jade that I love AND their stunning prices, I'm not sure I will ever be able to spend that much on a single bangle... even a small cabochon could cost more than a strand of SSP...

Quote Originally Posted by Camelotshadow View Post
    I'm no jade expert & detecting natural is not easy but the 3 colors on the bangle are intersting & I guess could be dyed like that but would think it would be harder than dying it all one color. It might have been light to begin with but why dye it as white jade is valuable in itself unless they can blach it then dye it but dying 3 colors seems like more work so I am hoping for you its natural & its very nice!!!

I guess the dye does not really hurt anything but the value so if you paid a great price then as you say you can enjoy it more without fear of accidentally dropping it into a few pieces...
    Thank you but as long as it has been treated in any way then the jade is no longer grade A jade. Grade A jade is just polished. The ones I've seen are always accompanied by a certificate. In fact if I want to buy grade A jade I wouldn't buy without a cert from a reputable lab.

A Grade: Unprocessed, unaltered 100% natural Feicui. Natural jade that has only been polished in wax and undergone a heat treatment is known as A grade.

B Grade: Has undergone a bleaching process to clean the inside of impurities and inferior color. However, this process destroys the inner structure of the Feicui, leaving holes where the impurities used to be. These holes are filled with a type of clear polymer and then lacquered. This corrects all of the problems and leaves a highly transparent finished product that is known as B grade.

C Grade: It takes an already cut stone and adds color by dip-dying the stone. Color altered Feicui is known as C Grade.

B+C: After the Feicui has undergone an acid and alkali cleaning, it is dried and then dyed. This is called B+C Grade.

B, C and B+C appear brighter, clearer and have a rich color like the highest quality Feicui, but it is no longer a legitimate natural stone, it does not have the ability to maintain or increase in value. If you spend hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands on a B, C or B + C grade you are simply wasting money because it is not even worth 100 yuan. In addition, B, C or B+C are not durable; after a short time the polymer and inner structure breakdown, the color fades, and it cracks and breaks easily.

Was looking into my bangle size.

Guess I came out about 58 60 from opening a caliper & passing it over my clench hand as if putting it on although 56 to 58 would probably fit too from this chart but I guess I'd rather leave the extra room in case of swelling...

http://www.noblejades.com/4-ways-to-...ngle-size.html

Gosh seems they come as small as 50mm but alas I may hae been that it my youth but time adds a few mm's....LOL
    Don't forgot oil/lotion. The idea is to wear the smallest size possible so that it sits nicely on your wrist. You shouldn't be able to pull the bangle up to your forearm for example unless you really can't squeeze your hand through a smaller size. If you can wear the bangle without grease/lotion, you should take a smaller size. The different vendors have been pretty consistent about this advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Arialle View Post
    I love jadeite~ I am so excited there is a jadeite thread here~ here are some of my jadeite bangles~(The black bangle and the white one beside it are not jadeite)
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    Here you go, right side up ... and lovely bangles!

Attachment 46764Attachment 46765
    Was catching up on older posts and saw this.

ArialLe: Can you pls post more pics of the top left and bottom rightmost bangles? Wrist shots, close ups and/or whatever you can manage. They look really lovely! Would love to find out more about them and get more eye candy.

Great post Icy! I have certificates on some of my Type A, but others were so inexpensive it really didn't justify the additional cost.

Another trick to putting on a bangle without having to lotion up or soap up...use a grocery produce bag. Put it over your hand and slide the bangle over your hand.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

IcyJade & JP, your bangles are stunning! I especially like icy's 2-tone and JPs lavender. I must get sized soon!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

So much good information here !!

I recently took some of my Mom's jewelry in to Mayors Jewelers to get appraised. As I sat down, the appraiser said, "Nice jade!" because I was wearing the jade bracelet. But he would not appraise it. I was bummed out. It was one of the pieces I was really curious about as far as value.

Bweaves: when u say appraise do you mean to determine if it's grade A jade or for the value? Value is quite difficult to determine I think.

----

Just to share a website that I found quite interesting and informative, with stuff like what to do with broken bangles etc.

http://www.jadeitejade.com

Great post Icy! I have certificates on some of my Type A, but others were so inexpensive it really didn't justify the additional cost.

Another trick to putting on a bangle without having to lotion up or soap up...use a grocery produce bag. Put it over your hand and slide the bangle over your hand.
    I never mastered the plastic bag trick. So my go to method is hand/body lotion.

Adding a photo - wore a black dress today and felt like my other bangle matches the outfit better.
    IMG_4079.jpg
    Last edited by Icyjade; 07-27-2017 at 02:44 PM.

BWeaves, did he say why he wouldn't appraise the bracelet?

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

Icy I'm in love with that bangle <3
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LiliasTreasures

Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Wow, love the lavender. I measured the widest part of the palm clenched & checked the chart & it said 56 to 58 which I would buy 58 as I was on the high end of the measurement.

I think 58 will fit without much stress or need for lotion. I'm not comfortable going smaller as my hand could swell at times in the future.
    Right now I am on chemo but my hand is not really swollen its the knuckles that are the widest point & the bones don;t compress so the bangle needs to go over that area.

I have my eye on a cheap (under $75) A grade which I guess is off color green/ avocado with some rust & a patch of lavender. I actually like the more subdued color & maybe thats why the low price as its just not the best color?

I really have not been into bangles or bracelets but it just seems to be calling to me...would go nice with tahitians.

Since the smallest diam around the clenched hand is 180mm
    from the chart I would be 58mm...so maybe even 59 would do? I think 58 will fit without any real stress.

176 - 182 mm is 56 - 58 mm

Maybe is thousands of years of Chinese history is right it could bring health benefits or good luck...

He said Jade was too hard to put a value on, but I suspect it also wasn't his area of expertise.

I wanted valuation for getting a few of Mom's pieces insured, like her engagement ring. But other pieces I just wanted a feel for how much they were worth because I couldn't find the receipts. Mom kept receipts for most items, but sometimes the writing had faded or the description was too vague to determine which bracelet or earrings the receipt referred to.

Somehow after wearing the lavender/green bangle for a while and then wearing this icy jade bangle, find that I do prefer this bangle as the shape (round vs flat inner surface) is more comfy to wear. Is a bit strange cos a vendor had told me that flat bangles are more comfy to wear? Anyone feels the same or differently?

Wow, love the lavender. I measured the widest part of the palm clenched & checked the chart & it said 56 to 58 which I would buy 58 as I was on the high end of the measurement.

I think 58 will fit without much stress or need for lotion. I'm not comfortable going smaller as my hand could swell at times in the future.
    Right now I am on chemo but my hand is not really swollen its the knuckles that are the widest point & the bones don;t compress so the bangle needs to go over that area.
    Camelotshadow, hope you feel better soon. Mostly importantly get whichever size is more comfortable for you.

This site shows how to measure and a plastic glove trick that looks easy...
    I may bring bring some gloves along next time I go shopping so I don't have to repeatedly wash my hands... that is, if I remember anyways.
    http://www.ultimatejadeite.com/how-t...ngle-bracelet/

Quote Originally Posted by battah View Post
    Icy I'm in love with that bangle <3
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    He said Jade was too hard to put a value on, but I suspect it also wasn't his area of expertise.
    Jade pricing seems so arbitrary as compared to other gem stones.

I have both princess and D shaped bangles, and wear them both. I do like the all round princess during the summer because it doesn't seem to stick as much to my skin as does the flat inner surface of the D.

On pricing, it is certainly quite possible to get Type A jadeite that has been un treated for under $100. But I caution you to carefully examine the piece for cracks and other flaws that could likely cause the bracelet to break when hit or dropped. You certainly won't get a valuable piece of jadeite for that price, but I have seen (and own) a number of really lovely inexpensive bangles. There are so many factors that go into pricing of jade...You may want to check out Mason Kay http://www.masonkay.com. They have tons of information on their website.