Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: The JADE thread

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Icyjade's Avatar

I really liked the color and bought another bangle at my local jewellery fair recently.

JPEG image-EAA3D24F2D56-1.jpg

As an added bonus the colors seem to go with most of my tahitians.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

Gorgeous, Icy!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LiliasTreasures

Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Green and purple! That is a beautiful bangle.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Icy - that bangle ... amazing colours !!!

Thanks battah, Bweaves n Katbran. Have been wearing it to hopefully ward off some bad luck...

I saw another stunning white bangle with yellow and green streaks but alas not in my size... I shall search again in the next fair.

Icy, I'm jealous of these fairs where you can find such fabulous bangles. The gem show here is kind of low budget so the jade is pretty obviously treated.

The lavender jade is gorgeous. I have not seen this color except in the Palace museum in Taiwan. ...and it is carved. scrumptious.

Bluidragon: Erm, given the price I paid I'll be very surprised if its natural/grade A jade... the natural ones I saw in Hong Kong costs a small fortune! Certainly enough to buy a very nice car...

I bought this knowing it's probably not natural but I thought it'll be less stressful to wear than my earlier bangle. With my earlier one I was always kinda nervous about banging into something and breaking the bangle. With this one, if I break it I will be upset but not devastated so I'm kinda happier wearing this than the pricier bangle if it makes sense? Pls tell me that I am not the only one who gets stressed out thinking about breaking jade bangles while wearing them.

Battah: having been to the Hong Kong fairs, the Singapore fairs are really really small... that said it is much easier to shop n less dangerous for my wallet haha.

Icyjade, fair enough! I definitely worry about breaking, my favorite bangle is a carved faint lavender with a couple of stone lines, and I worry about breakage.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icyjade View Post
    Bluidragon: Erm, given the price I paid I'll be very surprised if its natural/grade A jade... the natural ones I saw in Hong Kong costs a small fortune! Certainly enough to buy a very nice car...

I bought this knowing it's probably not natural but I thought it'll be less stressful to wear than my earlier bangle. With my earlier one I was always kinda nervous about banging into something and breaking the bangle. With this one, if I break it I will be upset but not devastated so I'm kinda happier wearing this than the pricier bangle if it makes sense? Pls tell me that I am not the only one who gets stressed out thinking about breaking jade bangles while wearing them.

Battah: having been to the Hong Kong fairs, the Singapore fairs are really really small... that said it is much easier to shop n less dangerous for my wallet haha.
    My lavender jadeite is Type A, and I was wearing it a few weeks ago while walking my pup...well I tripped and face planted on the side walk and hearing a beautiful chime, I thought...oh no, and I feared looking down at my wrist. The bangle was perfect, not even a scratch! And it saved me from breaking my wrist, as I had a huge bruise where the bangle hit my lower thumb, just above the wrist. Only damage was to the crystal on my ceramic watch...even that didn't break! And while I was pretty scraped up, I'm all healed now.

Icy, there are a few labs known for their skill at identifying jadeite located in Singapore. You can always have it tested to know for sure.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

JP I've heard stories about jade bangles protecting people from injury like that! They're pretty darn strong. And I adore your lavender ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by battah View Post
    JP I've heard stories about jade bangles protecting people from injury like that! They're pretty darn strong. And I adore your lavender ❤️
    Seriously...it's now my lucky charm! Even though it's insured, I would have been devastated.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

I'm no jade expert & detecting natural is not easy but the 3 colors on the bangle are intersting & I guess could be dyed like that but would think it would be harder than dying it all one color. It might have been light to begin with but why dye it as white jade is valuable in itself unless they can blach it then dye it but dying 3 colors seems like more work so I am hoping for you its natural & its very nice!!!

I guess the dye does not really hurt anything but the value so if you paid a great price then as you say you can enjoy it more without fear of accidentally dropping it into a few pieces...

Was looking into my bangle size.

Guess I came out about 58 60 from opening a caliper & passing it over my clench hand as if putting it on although 56 to 58 would probably fit too from this chart but I guess I'd rather leave the extra room in case of swelling...

http://www.noblejades.com/4-ways-to-...ngle-size.html

Gosh seems they come as small as 50mm but alas I may hae been that it my youth but time adds a few mm's....LOL
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 07-25-2017 at 09:40 PM.

I have seen dyed jades with many colors...they can be hideous, or quite lovely. Kind of like dyed pearls. There are ways to tell, and as with pearls, careful close inspection as well as a trusted source are always your best bet. Since Icy assumed her piece is not Type A (untreated, natural) it might not be worth the effort to certify. From what I understand, with the correct equipment, it is a relatively straightforward test. Jade is very commonly bleached to remove impurities, dyed and stabilized. Type A has no treatments (other than polishing).

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    My lavender jadeite is Type A, and I was wearing it a few weeks ago while walking my pup...well I tripped and face planted on the side walk and hearing a beautiful chime, I thought...oh no, and I feared looking down at my wrist. The bangle was perfect, not even a scratch! And it saved me from breaking my wrist, as I had a huge bruise where the bangle hit my lower thumb, just above the wrist. Only damage was to the crystal on my ceramic watch...even that didn't break! And while I was pretty scraped up, I'm all healed now.

Icy, there are a few labs known for their skill at identifying jadeite located in Singapore. You can always have it tested to know for sure.
    Your jade saved you! So glad it wasn't a bad fall.

I know about the labs but the cost to certify will probably exceed how much I paid for my new bangle. Could do a simple FTIR test but even then it will be a significant fraction of the bangle cost so yeah, really not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    I have seen dyed jades with many colors...they can be hideous, or quite lovely. Kind of like dyed pearls. There are ways to tell, and as with pearls, careful close inspection as well as a trusted source are always your best bet. Since Icy assumed her piece is not Type A (untreated, natural) it might not be worth the effort to certify. From what I understand, with the correct equipment, it is a relatively straightforward test. Jade is very commonly bleached to remove impurities, dyed and stabilized. Type A has no treatments (other than polishing).
    Completely agree re: dyed pearls. In fact since loads of white pearls are bleached, you could even compare bleached pearls to Grade B jade vs natural whites to Grade A jade... or take chocolate Tahitians... it may appeal to some and not to others.

I bought knowing it's nearly impossible for the bangle to be Grade A jade and absolutely don't mind. Can well imagine jadeite purists shuddering in horror but having seen genuine grade A jade that I love AND their stunning prices, I'm not sure I will ever be able to spend that much on a single bangle... even a small cabochon could cost more than a strand of SSP...

Quote Originally Posted by Camelotshadow View Post
    I'm no jade expert & detecting natural is not easy but the 3 colors on the bangle are intersting & I guess could be dyed like that but would think it would be harder than dying it all one color. It might have been light to begin with but why dye it as white jade is valuable in itself unless they can blach it then dye it but dying 3 colors seems like more work so I am hoping for you its natural & its very nice!!!

I guess the dye does not really hurt anything but the value so if you paid a great price then as you say you can enjoy it more without fear of accidentally dropping it into a few pieces...
    Thank you but as long as it has been treated in any way then the jade is no longer grade A jade. Grade A jade is just polished. The ones I've seen are always accompanied by a certificate. In fact if I want to buy grade A jade I wouldn't buy without a cert from a reputable lab.

A Grade: Unprocessed, unaltered 100% natural Feicui. Natural jade that has only been polished in wax and undergone a heat treatment is known as A grade.

B Grade: Has undergone a bleaching process to clean the inside of impurities and inferior color. However, this process destroys the inner structure of the Feicui, leaving holes where the impurities used to be. These holes are filled with a type of clear polymer and then lacquered. This corrects all of the problems and leaves a highly transparent finished product that is known as B grade.

C Grade: It takes an already cut stone and adds color by dip-dying the stone. Color altered Feicui is known as C Grade.

B+C: After the Feicui has undergone an acid and alkali cleaning, it is dried and then dyed. This is called B+C Grade.

B, C and B+C appear brighter, clearer and have a rich color like the highest quality Feicui, but it is no longer a legitimate natural stone, it does not have the ability to maintain or increase in value. If you spend hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands on a B, C or B + C grade you are simply wasting money because it is not even worth 100 yuan. In addition, B, C or B+C are not durable; after a short time the polymer and inner structure breakdown, the color fades, and it cracks and breaks easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelotshadow View Post
    Was looking into my bangle size.

Guess I came out about 58 60 from opening a caliper & passing it over my clench hand as if putting it on although 56 to 58 would probably fit too from this chart but I guess I'd rather leave the extra room in case of swelling...

http://www.noblejades.com/4-ways-to-...ngle-size.html

Gosh seems they come as small as 50mm but alas I may hae been that it my youth but time adds a few mm's....LOL
    Don't forgot oil/lotion. The idea is to wear the smallest size possible so that it sits nicely on your wrist. You shouldn't be able to pull the bangle up to your forearm for example unless you really can't squeeze your hand through a smaller size. If you can wear the bangle without grease/lotion, you should take a smaller size. The different vendors have been pretty consistent about this advice.