Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 155563646566 LastLast

Thread: The JADE thread

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Thanks & if it cost $20 I wouldn;t care but it was 10 times that..

It changes colors too with light...

Look at this listing...How the hay could that be A grade with that deep color & for $17 with free shipping from China???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302621529129

This is mine,,,where it mostly looks a strange off pale bluish green grey tinted...sort of

I did love it beofre I thought it might have been soaked in acid & then filled with polymer...Still I don;t know for sure & there is still black inclusions in it which is a good sign but also I see some dark purple & not sure if that a natural inclusion...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Camelotshadow; 02-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Have you taken a look at the bangle using a loop? Go visit Mason-Kay and take a look at some of their photos, and check this resource: http://www.masonkay.com/natural-vs-treated-jade You can also contact them for an evaluation, however, I am certain they do charge a fee. I had an absolutely wonderful conversation with them about jadeite while I was in Tucson. I happened to be wearing my lavender bangle and it started the conversation.

When it comes to purchasing jadeite, your best bet is to go with a trusted source. That said, $200 for a treated bangle that is pretty and you love isn't an outrageous amount. I've purchased many pieces of costume jewelry at that price point...if it's pretty and you love it, don't worry about what it is! But if you feel you've been cheated, and sold something that isn't what it is claimed to be...then try to get your money back. Type A jadeite is very expensive, and unless it has been certified from GIA or another reputable lab, you should assume it is not type A.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

JP, thanks so much for sharing the jade info. I'm looking forward to diving into this website; I love jade, but haven't dug my pieces out and photographed for the forum.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Excellent article, JerseyPearl; Thank You!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Have you taken a look at the bangle using a loop? Go visit Mason-Kay and take a look at some of their photos, and check this resource: http://www.masonkay.com/natural-vs-treated-jade You can also contact them for an evaluation, however, I am certain they do charge a fee. I had an absolutely wonderful conversation with them about jadeite while I was in Tucson. I happened to be wearing my lavender bangle and it started the conversation.

When it comes to purchasing jadeite, your best bet is to go with a trusted source. That said, $200 for a treated bangle that is pretty and you love isn't an outrageous amount. I've purchased many pieces of costume jewelry at that price point...if it's pretty and you love it, don't worry about what it is! But if you feel you've been cheated, and sold something that isn't what it is claimed to be...then try to get your money back. Type A jadeite is very expensive, and unless it has been certified from GIA or another reputable lab, you should assume it is not type A.
    Thanks so much. I was just at MAson Kay & saw a similar or the same article but it was just definition no real test examples...Have to check... Found a really great one from GIA...
    https://www.gia.edu/doc/Identificati...DB66VlLwwwzffb

I do hear what you are saying. That's why I am torn as the weight is certianly heavy & comparable to other so called A jade of similar size but maybe all jade under $500 probably is treated with fake certificates.

I just don't like the idea of the poor thing being soaked in acid to pretty it up & they filled with junk.

I'm conflicted as its heavy & no glow with UV but it plinks not rings & its really a plunk so I think its failed that test. Still all the pits in the surface so many of them but its not coated or covered in laquer so thats a good sign.

Color inisde is really even & not sure how easy that is as it is said the color sort of runs in the open spaces...

It is attractive & size is ideal but its so much money right now for me to spend on a treated acid filled jade skeleton & I want it for the feeling of the natural stone & just not the same when its been so drastically scarred...

Its ebay so I have about another week to file but not really as then it could take 10 days if seller refutes it & as of March 7 I will be in Australia with no access to being online to even negotiate...

The bad thing ith this bangle is it has some precarious stone lines running & intersecting each other & oif its B/C jade a tap night turn it into 4 or more pieces...

I did see a few under $50 that are from what I have come to learn is a trusted seller but she is not a lab & she can only know what a certificate says or what someone tells her. Like you said $50 grade A even stony pale ones may just be too good to be true but thats wasting $50 not $200. Really have to get some sleeep & geton this tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the help & advice.

What do you think of these to go with the pendant...

lt green rust 57 x 7 s1600 ok.jpglt green 57 x 15 x 8 s-l1600.jpg

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

JP, thanks for the info and web link. Good info on that site

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

there is nothing as mysterious as jade in terms of buying.
    Visited at the Bangkok Fair a Myanmar stand and found these, what they said Imperial Jade gems.

2 of these were offered after heavy bargaining for US $ 500 approx.

A similar pair at the next booth would cost US $ 7000.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Magnificent color, Cees. I've seen Federico Barlocher's videos and stories of the jade fairs, fascinating!

What size are the cabs?
    Last edited by pattye; 02-23-2018 at 03:29 AM.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Ooooh, very nice! Did you end up purchasing them?
    And yes Pattye, those were very interesting!

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

I did not buy them, just because I don't want to tell others that they are Imperial jades and they are not. A not so big rock without imperial jade inside which you can not even see how much there is inside can go for 3 million euro. The length of these are about 15 mm.

Yes, the cost of jadeite is astounding! It can be more expensive than a diamond. Imperial jadeite is something to behold. I was able to view a piece in Tucson that was significantly more than the price you were quoted, for a similar size cab. Needless to say, I almost blew my entire budget on one purchase...but then the smelling salts kicked in and reasoned thinking resumed.

Well my first jade bangle supposed jadeite A grade cost $15 plus shipping...

55mm who'd a thunk & I love its even tho its green

Unusual 55 x 13.75 x 9mm

Wowo, think it was meant for me.

This was the $80 one I returned...just was not me...
    3 mm less I found my $15 bangle!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Cees...that colour !!! Would have been amazing earrings !!

I'm in jade mode...
    2nd & last (I hope) jade bangle is in the mail
    This time white nephrite! 54 x 15mm wish me luck as 55 mm is the smallest I've tried!!!

Nice translucent white w dark specs that I find interesting...

At almost 57 g its still a few grams less than my thinner green white jadeite.