Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: The JADE thread

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

That's amazing, although it doesn't look very comfortable. And you really need just the right outfit for it.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Just an FYI BWeaves...comfort is my least important factor when determining wearability.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Hahaha! Notes taken!

JP - you comment reminds me of my favourite Peanuts cartoon . Snoopy is wearing a long fur coat ...Charlie Brown comes along looking very hot and asks him how he can wear a fur coat in the middle of summer ...Snoopies response with his nose in the air .. " One must never sacrifice style for comfort " hahaha

Those necklaces are so amazing ! I love the Rustic tribal appearance of the stones ! Might be darn heavy though!

Dave - I'm so glad you are feeling better ..I cannot begin to imagine how frustrating and unpleasant Vertigo must be ..
    I was wondering if you considered saving out and drilling some small chunks ..like 1" -2" that could be used as beads ? I'd love a few for focus beads .

Inactive Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    I was wondering if you considered saving out and drilling some small chunks ..like 1" -2" that could be used as beads ? I'd love a few for focus beads.
    I have these which are yet to be polished. I don't see any problems drilling them as beads. For this particular cut I'm targeting cabochons, but ones that don't make the grade could be made into beads. They are 18 and 30mm, but the diamond core cutters are available up to 80mm... bangles!

I'm careful to not waste anything. Even tiny pieces are set aside to revisit working later.

And to all well wishers, thank you for the kind thoughts. I've had Epley maneuver treatments which relieved the violent eye movement and deep nausea. I'm attending occupational physiotherapy sessions to recondition my balance and vision. It's hard to work more than a few hours at a time just yet, but compared to a few weeks ago it's a marked improvement. BPPV is really debilitating. All my life, I've struggled with arthritis and anaphylaxis, had two skin grafts, been shipwrecked and lost at sea, ran over by a truck once and broke both thumbs TWICE in separate bike accidents, but never did I feel as disabled than being affected by vertigo. Especially being otherwise so active and independent.

I'm excited and anxious for the snow melt so I can get back up the mountain for a full, productive season.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, Dave...you really have been through quite a lot! Most I can claim is getting stitches while on vacation in the Bahamas...haven't been brave enough for a moped or scooter since. (I wasn't driving, and no alcohol was involved...only a wayward turtle and a swerve that went askew).

I love the idea of beads...and I kind of like them in the unpolished, rough state. But I also see rings and carvings from these pieces too.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Glad to hear you are beginning to recover, Dave! While I don't claim such a list to compare. that vertigo was the single worst thing ever when it happened to me ... it can take a while, but it sounds like you are getting great help, and well on the way.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Wow, Dave, you have really been through quite a lot! The worst I experienced (aside from having 3 babies) is being thrown through a windshield in a motorcycle accident. But I recovered from each of those events more quickly. I had vestibular neuritis 2 years ago and I'm still feeling the vertigo-like effects, so I know how crippleing it can be. It took a while, but eventully I got better. I'm so glad you're feeling better now and I really love the samples you posted today. Beads would be awesome!

Holy Cow Dave...talk about 9 lives.... I'm so glad you are improving. Gosh it must be dreadful. The idea of being dizzy and nauseous is just awful.

I love the idea of Cab's - I'm fighting with a Carnelian Cab ring at the moment ... it all seemed so simple a few hours ago....now I've ruined a new manicure, have saw cuts on my thumb and my fingers feel like they won't close and the Cab has only just been seated. Honestly...you'd think it was far more complicated but it just would not sit properly. But .. it will get there. I do wish after all this effort that I actually liked the Cab more...it was just lying around and I thought 'why not' .. first mistake... all downhill from there. I'd much rather be going through all this for a Jade ring ! I'll line up for some cabs that's for sure! And some nice focal beads would be marvellous!

Botryoidal nephrite aka bubble jade. It's formed naturally in the ground, highly translucent and very resilient.

Unlike most jade which is washed downstream by glaciers and streams, these are collected at the mineral source.

The term botryoidal means having a shape reminiscent of a cluster of grapes combined with other forms of jade.

I'm pondering a couple of strands. One just jade, one with natural pearls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

The combo pearl and jade strand will be a sight to see! Cannot wait!!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Can't wait to see your design, Dave!!

Dave, I'd love to get my hands on some of those....

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Oh so interesting!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Dave, I'd love to get my hands on some of those....
    This batch was an experiment on how well it cleans up. I'm impressed by how translucent many of the pieces are. Even ones with spots. lines and other inclusions are quite nice. I have more material to run and a better idea how to do it.

It requires some manual labor to break up the chunks, then thoroughly washed, tumbled and graded.

It's like pearls in some ways, sorted into multiple grades. There's also plenty on the mountain so I suspect it will be available by the kilogram before too long.