Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Default Is it common to use white gold behind diamonds?

Here are pictures of an enhancer that has white metal behind the diamonds. My brother suspects the items were weighed down with sterling but there is no marking for silver, only gold. Mom also has an 18k ring with diamonds that has white metal under the diamonds but I didn't think to take photos. Is it a common practice to put down white metal under diamonds and would the metal be gold or silver? TIA!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

It's no uncommon to put white gold behind the diamonds because it makes the diamonds look more white.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

The white metal isn't just behind the diamonds. It's the prongs, too. It helps make the diamonds look bigger on the front surface, as well as whiter.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Thank you! Your answers will make mom much happier! Upon enlarging the photos, I noticed the prongs are white gold too, which I didn't bother to look at beforehand. Thank you all!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

White gold wash under the diamonds makes no sense as light reflected from a diamond comes from the top & some from sides but it does not pick up light from under it if its a modern RBC. Older cuts are a bit different as they have an open culet on the bottom.
    I do see a white gold in the inset where the diamonds are mounted. Possible the white gold is a rhoidum plate?

White gold underneath is sort of a wash. Maybe looks spayed. Maybe they had he diamond portion

Diamonds set in white gold will be enhanced if they are good quality white diamonds. If you put yellowish diamonds in white gold they will look more yellow than of you set them in white. So it does depend on the diamond color.

They have in mostly around 1900 put a layer of silver on top & set the diamonds in silver but that will tarnish over time.

Its a pretty modern piecs but the hingelock looks nice.