PDA

View Full Version : "Souffle' Pearls"

GemGeek
02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Here are the natural light photos I promised. I purchased these with the intent to sell, after I took photos for an article and to add to my presentation. I didn't even get out of the convention center before someone "reserved" three of them. I'm keeping the green teardrop and maybe one or two others.

They aren't perfect, but they are faboo. I'm not planning on drilling them. A nice setting with gold claws should look awesome... ;)

Heidi
02-13-2010, 06:56 PM
WOW - the goldypeachygreen amazingness of those steals my heart.

pattye
02-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Rare and undeniably desirable colors there! Great choices, Blaire! Looking forward to seeing the finished pieces!!

ShashiRatna
02-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Ooooo!!! Soooo pretty!!! And I wanna add - tough choice between these and the Hanadamas. I guess different pearls for different occasions.

-SR

Lagoon Island Pearls
02-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Such beautiful color! I love the copper and bronze hues.

Ramona
02-13-2010, 10:33 PM
They are already my new favorites! I look forward to seeing your creations.

Kathleen Conway
02-14-2010, 01:22 AM
So vibrant and fascinating, lucky you!

GemGeek
02-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Thanks! They really were the hit of the show. ;)

Nora
02-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Blaire,
What is the size of those beauties?

Bernadette
02-15-2010, 04:30 AM
Blaire, those are glorious I could see one as a bug, a beetle to be precise.

MWP
02-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Those are incredible. Great photos. Can't wait to see what you do with them!

mrsz
02-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Wow those are beautiful and metallic! Can't wait to see them set (but don't envy the driller at all).

Amrita
02-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Breathtaking! :)

MistofCassiopeia
02-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I would put them in an antique dish and keep them where I can see them...too pretty!

CLICLASP
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Are those extreme beauties FWCP ?

claudenancy
02-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Wow! I have visions of these in all types of clear crystal--bowls, goblets, etc, arranged as a centerpiece--with exotic flowers interspersed-- for a fantasy buffet.

GemGeek
02-17-2010, 02:01 AM

Yes they are! Although, I would use the term FRESHwater loosely! :eek:

gemologist
03-20-2010, 01:48 AM
I think I am in love... :}

GemGeek
03-20-2010, 04:00 AM
Me too! ;)

lisa c
03-25-2010, 09:43 PM
How come there aren't posts about nucleating muck anymore?

pearlescence
03-25-2010, 09:44 PM
we are all trying to think of a better and more apt and descriptive name
I'll suggest tosheroon pearls again

lisa c
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks Wendy! and I just was working backward and saw the earlier pictures and that's where I read posts about the muck.

Maybe names like "pondslime" and "muck" stick because we're all little kids playing w mudpies, shrieking but loving to be grossed out in our hearts. My kids and I mixed up a bunch of fruit juices that tasted great but looked like poison or dirty water. They called it pond slime, too. It didn't sell too well on the corner...they didn't care. They loved watching faces squinch up when they showed the color, and said the name.

Souffle seems kind of tame for those wild colors. They look like Sweet-Tart merengues (how the heck do you spell this?) to me.

GemGeek
03-29-2010, 03:33 AM
Blaire,
What is the size of those beauties?

13 x 14mm to 16 x 18mm ish.

tammyk73
05-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm interested in purchasing one. Do you have any for sale?

CLICLASP
05-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I am thrilled to see these ones on their final mounting

GemGeek
05-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I do have a few left. We aren't supposed to sell here, but if someone wants to send me a message, I'll consider it. ;)

Caitlin
05-03-2010, 11:44 PM
We don't sell overtly, but members can ask price questions. If someone sees anything they like they can get touch with the owner directly. I think(hope) a lot of buying and selling is going on, but we want to keep the details or any impression of sellers approaching buyers isspamming)out of the public forum.

Education is our mission, but people make all kinds of connections on the side. I came here to ask pearly questions. I had no idea people made friends on forums! At first, I wasn't too into that, but it happened anyway. I have very dear friends, I got to know through the forum. Friends trade, or buy and sell in many other venues, a forum just adds another one.

I for one am interested in the wholesale/ retail price ranges for the souffle pearls. I am clueless what they go for. However, since more are most likely coming on the market, I'd like to have a ballpark figure, since I don't know a website where they hang out. Or a link, if there is one.

The colors very abalone-like. (My highest complement.)

pattye
05-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Hi Caitlin and All,

Here is a link to a lovely strand on Kojima's website, just to give you an idea. Singles are usually a bit more. Lots of interesting, rich colors here! Also love Blaire's green ones!
http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/deep-pondslime-keshi-strand

knotty panda
05-04-2010, 06:39 AM
we are all trying to think of a better and more apt and descriptive name
I'll suggest tosheroon pearls again

After I read the nucleating description on Sarah's website, I thought souffle was appropo. Tell me what Tosheroon is?

jshepherd
05-04-2010, 05:31 PM
I hope this hasn't been posted yet. I just received this from G&G at GIA.

“Soufflé” Freshwater
Cultured Pearls

Jack Lynch (Sea Hunt Pearls, San Francisco) had an attractive new product he sold as “Soufflé pearls” at the Tucson gem shows in February. They were large, had high luster, and appeared in a wide range of reportedly natural colors. According to Mr. Lynch, they debuted at the September 2009 Hong Kong Jewellery and Gem Fair as “hollow keshi.” From their relatively light heft, the dealer probably assumed they were hollow.

Mr. Lynch gave us some undrilled and sliced samples for examination. They ranged from 17.7 to 18.6 mm in maximum dimension, and were white, light orangy pink, and light pink; all were baroque shaped. Microradiography revealed large irregular areas of a relatively uniform gray color in their interiors -- that is, areas more translucent to X-rays than the surrounding nacre -- along with smaller darker, more X-ray transparent areas.

When one of the samples was cut in half, a dark, viscous liquid present quickly dried into the gray matter that filled the pearl’s interior. The mortar-like gray material was completely separate from the outer layers of the pearl, and chemical analysis showed it contained mostly silicon and aluminum -- proving it was not a calcium carbonate or organic material connected to pearls or mollusks.

Mr. Lynch’s supplier subsequently informed him that “muck,” possibly pond mud, had been used to initiate pearl growth. Since this material was deliberately placed within existing pearl sacs in the host mollusks, the resulting cultured pearls cannot be classified as “keshi.”

The “nuclei” are unstable to drilling and may not be present in the drilled cultured pearls, which would explain why the strands have a relatively low heft.

- Nick Sturman
GIA Laboratory, Bangkok

- Elisabeth Strack
Gemmologisches Institut Hamburg, Germany

Caitlin
05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
That is fairly definitive. Thanks

kojimapearl
05-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Here is a little "blurb" that Fuji Voll wrote about these pearls that in Tucson we were calling "Lost-Nuc"....have to admit though that "souffle" is much more appearling of a name!Good work Jack!:p:

Fuji not only has a very distinctive writing style, he has also written many pages of information for his website and promises more in the future.

A curious variety of freshwater pearls, rather flat and lumpy in a somewhat distinctive way, are surprisingly lightweight for their size. This turns out to be because they are nucleated with a soluble material, most of which may be removed after holes are drilled in the pearls, making them hollow.

An obvious concern about the strength of such hollow pearls might limit their usefulness for some types of jewellery. Nacre thickness reached in freshwater pearl cultivation exceeds that of all other types; that makes it more likely to produce durable hollow pearls than any other. However, because the inside of the nacre layer is exposed to the air, it is reasonable to expect color and luster changes in hollow pearls over time that are not as commonly observed in other pearls. If one is not already in use, it may be necessary to invent a treatment to coat the inside of hollow pearls. The light weight is sure to be welcomed by many among a continuing escalation of pearl size.

Similar hollow pearls are the subject of a forum about "Souffle' pearls" (a name chosen by Jack Lynch of Sea Hunt Pearls) that is ongoing as of March 2010 on Jeremy Sheppard's pearlguide.com .

Until more is known about these pearls' durability in various uses, and about how large a premium buyers are willing to pay over similar shaped heavier pearls with shell nuclei, Pacific Pearls has made only a small investment in hollow, lost-nucleus pearls.... but we could not ignore a new product made using a previously unknown technique.

jshepherd
05-04-2010, 09:02 PM
You should check with Fuji to see if he would correct the link he has in the live article. He is linking to PearlGuide.com, which ius completely unrelated to Pearl-Guide.

Caitlin
05-04-2010, 09:26 PM
That domain is for sale. What is that- some kind of blackmail?

kojimapearl
05-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks Jeremy, I will let him know!

jshepherd
05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
That domain is for sale. What is that- some kind of blackmail?

No, just a squatter. They are accepting offers of $5k and above.

Caitlin
05-05-2010, 01:08 AM
I hope certain people never find it.

GemGeek
05-05-2010, 02:14 AM
I read the G&G article today and didn't even think about posting it here - whoops.

I definitely enjoyed Fuji's writing, thanks! He's so elegant. :cool:

pattye
05-05-2010, 07:27 PM
It's great to know we have the latest and most complete info on these "souffle" pearls right here!!

Fuji also mentions the durability issue that was brought up here. His expertise, perspective and insights are always welcome!

jshepherd
05-05-2010, 08:25 PM
I think the pearl grade is a definite factor in the durability. This photo was a strand shot in Tucson with the same type of souffle or muck pearls.

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/64662-post57.html

Caitlin
05-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Those are muck pearls-Blaire's are souffles.

jshepherd
05-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Potato potahto ... Souffle pearls are muck pearls.

Caitlin
05-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Yes, but not all muck pearls are souffles.

purlgurl
05-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Yes, but not all muck pearls are souffles.
Oh, touche` Caitlin. That made me smile.

Seahorse
06-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi All, I have purchased some souffle pearls and had plans on drilling them for a bracelet, but now am wondering if they should be used for that application. I am starting to think that a tin cup necklace might be better suited. Their luster and orient is amazing, but since they are hollow I am not sure how sturdy they will be. They would make a very comfortable bracelet though, they are flat on one side.

Darla

lisa c
06-14-2010, 11:37 PM
I think the pearl grade is a definite factor in the durability. This photo was a strand shot in Tucson with the same type of souffle or muck pearls.

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/64662-post57.html

Wow, they don't look anything like Blaire's. They don't even look like relatives. Why were they being shown at the gem show, do you think?

Caitlin
06-15-2010, 01:47 AM
They were being sold in the commercial pearls area of the gem show. About the same as you would get on eBay

I took Jeremy and Judi slumming and Judi took some excellent photos of the worst pearls I have ever seen, even at that show. They usually have some token non-freshwater pearls and this one booth brings in lower quality every year- at least it would seem so.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, whatever it is.

la_corsetiere
06-16-2010, 12:01 AM
I've purchased a couple huge monsters lately from The Agustus Collection that might be considered "souffle" pearls, though they're actually quite nice. Very large South Sea baroques that are definitely hollow. Definitely bead-nucleated, though, so I guess in light of that they wouldn't fit the definition. One of them was already drilled and incorporated into a necklace, and the bead is emerging slightly at the back; the other one rattles when you shake it, so the bead is inside, but clearly much smaller than the final pearl. I'm rather nervous about drilling that one; haven't yet decided what I'll do with it. I wonder how these mutations form? They also have a very distinctive silvery hue and luster that might be typical of Indonesian pearls (?). If I'm able to attend the upcoming ruckus, I'll bring them along for show-and-tell and some expert opinions (but nobody gets to take a hammer to them - sorry!).

Sheri

GemGeek
06-16-2010, 02:49 AM
Baroque South Sea pearls often develop a "gas" problem... ;)

patriciadear
09-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Wow.. when I saw the photo tonight I thought.. these are fabulous... the natural color is so different, so brilliant.....But after reading the info here I'm discouraged about them. Perhaps they will figure out how to culture these pearls in a more stable manner... I hope so. I have a very large tusk abalone pearl on my listings.. it's broken, revealing the hollow interior.. but the nacre is very thick and durable. As I remember the bottom part of this tusk was full of weird science dried "stuff" ..stuff that was so repelling that I threw it away. But the lovely nacre "top" has a solid nucleus underneath... a solid brown attached nucleus you can see in the photos. Although this broken pearl can only be used as a specimen it fascinates me. I guess the pearl farms must take natural pearls apart to find out their secrets.. then go from there? At any rate, I'm sorry to learn that these colorful 'slime pond' pearls are so delicate.. They are a tease...so so beautiful but so delicate. By the way years ago I purchased a couple of cheap strands of huge cultured pearls.. I think they were the first 'flame ball' pearl experiments.. the backs revealed a bead.. but the top domes were colorful and brilliant. I never used the pearls because of the funky backs. The seller called them 'rock pearls'.. has anyone encountered them? I haven't seen them since that gem show in San Diego.

GemGeek
09-11-2010, 04:09 AM
The souffle's I've seen cut in half are very thick, but they are high end. I saw a listing for souffle' pearls on jtv.com, so they are getting around, but who is to say how thick those are? ;)

cocolpearl
12-09-2010, 03:00 AM

U can combine them with some selected Thailand silver!!

cocolpearl
12-09-2010, 03:01 AM
That is FWP with the special luster just like the metallic

newberry
12-09-2010, 06:29 AM
11693Thought I would share one of Blaire's "Souffle" pearls made into an enhancer for me.

lisa c
12-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Gorgeous!!!!

Hanaleimom
12-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Newberry, it's gorgeous. Please post your Cyber Monday pendant here too. Did you get it yet?

pattye
12-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh, Wonderful! Amazing luster on the pearls and enhancer! Bet you get tons of compliments on this necklace!

newberry
12-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Newberry, it's gorgeous. Please post your Cyber Monday pendant here too. Did you get it yet?

I has not shipped yet because it is going to have company in the box. A white ss strand, earrings and a 100 inch rope that Jeremy is putting together for me. My long awaited birthday present. I will post pictures when they arrive.

Seabourn Pearls
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
That necklace is totally rad. BTW, I have a fair quantity of high quality souffle pearls. If anyone is interested I can post some pics.

Caitlin
01-18-2011, 03:04 AM
of course! Please post photos and tell us about them.

jshepherd
01-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm finally on my way back from China. I did some digging into the whole souffle thing while here. It turns out that there are only two technicians in China that know the method and total production right now is only around 200 kilos, and all of the production is in Hunan. They've had difficulty moving them because pearls are sold by weight, so after the pearls are purchased, the factories drill and drain them - effectively draining 50% of their investment. It makes them quite expensive.

pattye
01-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Fascinating! Thanks for the insights, Jeremy!!

Seabourn Pearls
01-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Jeremy:

On the surface (no pun intended) that makes total sense. The irony of China is that the "communists" who live there have the world's keenest capitalist sensibilities. If the Chinese can't account for the discrepancies in weight/value before and after drilling the world economy is in more trouble than we think. It's like selling steaks by weight before and after cooking. This isn't trigonometry.

I had agents in China last week who reported high quality souffle pearls were nigh impossible to find. I'd be curious to know if you found them scarce, too. I have a decent supply of whites/silvers and multicolors in 13X14MM and 14X15MM in both strands and matched pairs for earrings. The last photo is all sold out. Here are a few pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabournpearls/5350351971/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabournpearls/5366810335/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabournpearls/5350964606/in/photostream/

Caitlin
01-18-2011, 06:20 PM
With pearls that large, it is probably nice that they are hollow.

Seabourne. Would you consider uploading those pics directly to Pearl-Guide? Those flikr photos always expire leaving people who find the thread later without pix. which lessens the educational value of the thread. This is primarily an educational site though interested people will seek sellers out. If you have a webpage, feel welcome to post a link in your signature, but be sure to make a reciprocal link on your site.

Also feel free to describe who you are and something about your business.

lisa c
01-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Yes, Please, as Caitlin said! Many times I've been disappointed when a photo has expired, and these are simply gorgeous.

Seabourn Pearls
01-19-2011, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE=lisa c;73328]Yes, Please, as Caitlin said! Many times I've been disappointed when a photo has expired, and these are simply gorgeous.

Dear Lisa and Caitlin:

But of course. If you would be so kind as to tell me how to post the pictures directly I would be all too happy to oblige. However, the insert image icon requests an URL so I'm not at all clear how to add photos without redirecting. Life is hard when one has a crocodilian brain.

pattye
01-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Hi Ben,

At the bottom of the reply window , choose "go advanced" and then the paperclip icon. I still have problems sometimes.

Seabourn Pearls
01-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Here are some of the souffle pearls we have at Seabourn Pearls. We specialize in baroque and unusual pearl shapes, styles and colors (natural only) in fine freshwater and saltwater pearls.

Marianne
01-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Oh my goodness, those are beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.
Marianne

Seabourn Pearls
01-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Bear with me folks. Hard to believe I'm using all 15% of my brain right now. Here's what you're looking at: 1) 14X15.5MM White Souffle Pearls 2) 13X14MM Multicolor Souffle Pearls in Bronze Purple Hues 3) 13X14MM and 14X15.5MM Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Souffle Pearls 4) 14X15 Silver Souffle Pearl earring pairs

The absence of a shell bead nucleus and the drainage of the mud inside Souffle pearls gives them a reduced heft that makes them ideal for earrings. Admittedly, the baroque and uneven surfaces can make it challenging to securely attach findings with adhesives. This hurdle is hardly insurmountable. For a big, shimmering earring these lustrous hollow core pearls are a much easier burden for the lobe to carry than a bead nucleated pearl of equal or even lesser size.

Ben Johnson
Seabourn Pearls
http://seabournpearls.com/
http://seabournpearls.com/blog

Seabourn Pearls
01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I have a fair number of loose undrilled souffles too. Here's a selection. I do find these souffles truly beguiling. This group is especially rondure.

pattye
01-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Ben,

Lovely pearls, and those gorgeous purple and green-gold colors are TDF! So, since these haven't been drilled, and someone wants to purchase and have you drill them, do you then clean them out, and how is that done? Thanks in advance for your reply.

GemGeek
01-27-2011, 01:17 AM
I own several pearls that are in that photo. And the photo was featured here last year just before the Tucson show.

pattye
01-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Blaire,

Is that your green one at the bottom? Here is the discussion of the pearls from last year: http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/freshwater-pearls/4028-new-freshwaters.html

Seabourn Pearls
01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Jack Lynch sent me that picture directly a year or two ago and gave me permission to use it. It's the best quality photo I have on file for showing the range of colors and the ideal shape for souffle pearls. I should have credited Jack on the photo. More to the point, it was stupid and sloppy of me to grab a dated photo off my hard drive rather than take the time to shoot something new and fresh. You were right to call me on this and I apologize for my sloppiness and the misunderstanding. Contritely, Ben

pandaexpress
02-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Who is going to jump at getting one of these magnificent looking Souffle strands at PP?!

http://pearlparadise.com/Souffle-Pearls434.aspx

Also PP has a 14% off Valentine's Day Special going on - oooohhhhh...

pattye
02-03-2011, 10:09 PM
What's not to love about the Souffle strands! They are fabulous!

Ramona
02-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Can somebody buy these strands, please? Quickly, please? Before I commit the ultimate stupidity.

pandaexpress
02-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Well Ramona - you can always return them - but when Jeremy said the supply is limited - he's not kidding, when GemGeek and I were out there on Monday - there are very very few of these available. Talk about exclusive! And the 14% off coupon doesn't hurt - I think that's one of the larger discounts I've seen him do, Christmas was only 12%. It will be interesting to hear from GemGeek and others going to Tuscon how the Souffle supply chain is looking right now since this seems to be been a hit last year at the show.

lisa c
02-04-2011, 05:50 AM
How many = "very very few" strands?

pandaexpress
02-04-2011, 07:01 PM
well assuming the box he let GemGeek and I peek at was the only box he has - less than 100.

lisa c
02-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Yoiks! or I guess Yikes! since I'm USA. That's one of the things I love about the international nature of life now - reading and picking up regional phrases. Thanks

Pearlcat
02-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Don't know if it's a good or bad thing that I can't afford them right now!

jshepherd
02-04-2011, 09:36 PM
The total number is actually 39.

I'm in Tucson with GemGeek, Caitlin and Mikeyy hitting the show!

pandaexpress
02-04-2011, 09:39 PM
holy moly - talk about exclusive. And that's whites and mixed combined huh? If you count whites vs. multi - the number decreases even more. An exclusive club!

lisa c
02-04-2011, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=jshepherd;73653]The total number is actually 39.

Oy; oh well... I have a few good years left, I can wait.

02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Is there a trick to getting the Valentine's Day coupon to work?

pattye
02-05-2011, 03:57 PM
If you have a problem, just call them on their toll free number-----------

gravityalwayswins
02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Is there a trick to getting the Valentine's Day coupon to work?

Make sure you use the exact upper/lower cases as in the email. Or at least that was my problem when it didn't work at first.

Cheers,
Carol

gravityalwayswins
02-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey fellow Sparklie lovers! I haven't been around in a while, but I thought I'd drop in and admit to my weaknesses. I gave in on the souffle pearls. My picture-taking skills are horrible but I'll see what I can do when they arrive. Jeremy has a way of sucking me in with his unique offerings. I have a full strand of the "loot" pearls Jeremy kindly made for me (with a cool custom toggle clasp) and have had fun making jewelry for me and family/friends with that single, multi-color lot of big FW baroques I managed to luck into in the first 2 minutes of the beading special way back when.

Hope you've all been well!

Nerida
02-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi gravityalwayswins!! Really nice to hear from you again..

Congrats on the souffles, looking forward to seeing them when they arrive!!

GemGeek
02-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Yes, welcome back, and do post photos! :cool:

pattye
02-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Congrats on your fab purchase! Looking forward to seeing your creations!

la_corsetiere
02-10-2011, 04:08 PM
I also succumbed to temptation...

Sheri

pattye
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
I L O V E these True Confessions-------------

Nerida
02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Ah, Sheri, so why don't you surprise me with your 'confession'...

gravityalwayswins
02-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Sheri, I think in the past I've either drooled over your finds or we've liked the same things. I ought to start e-stalking your pearl ideas. :-P

Caitlin
02-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Jeremy
Are you selling any pairs or singletons? I can't afford a whole necklace, but I think they would make cool dangles and/or a pendant. They really are like abalone colors. Got any unmatched ones loose in there? They are growing on me. I love the heavily colored ones. I was nuts to say "meh" to them. Today is already too late, huh.

Seabourn Pearls
02-12-2011, 11:13 AM
I have pairs and singletons. These pics were from this week. I have a good many more.12063120641206512066

Seabourn Pearls
02-12-2011, 11:44 AM
BTW, the size range on these is 13X14MM for the earring pairs up to 18MM on the big fellas.

pattye
02-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi Ben,

Are these pearls drilled? And if not, do you drill at customers' request? Who cleans out the mud? lol The photos are great; they are beautiful pearls!
Are they still being sold by weight?

jshepherd
02-12-2011, 03:53 PM
They are only sold by weight by the producer. It is sort of a pain to get the gunk out. I cleaned out Cynde's and Blaire's with a small drill bit. I think the best way would be to soak the pearls and shake them in a bath really well. It's a lot easier with pearls drilled completely through.

Marianne
02-12-2011, 08:56 PM
I've had a few strands of "fresh" (aka UN-fresh fish smelling) keshis that came clean after a 15 min soak in H2O2. For the persistent ones I used an insulin syringe and to irrigate inside the pearl with H2O2 and blast out the organic nasties. Rinsed them well in fresh water. This did not seem to change the luster at all :)
Good luck!
Marianne

LBoone
02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
When I was a child, my Mother decorated "permanent" E whilaster eggs, they were raw eggs from which the contents had been removed while leaving the shell intact. This was done by making a small hole with a needle at each end of the egg and "blowing" out the contents. (Don't laugh, that is what we did!!!!) I looked for this technique on the internet because it seems to me it might work to get out the gunk. Apparently folks are a lot more sophisticated now than we were back then, seems that using ear syringes, straws, bicycle pump with basketball adapter, etc., are all in use now.

This might be a faster way to get out the gunk....

Hanaleimom
02-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Ben, the pairs in 3rd picture, post # 99, are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Hanaleimom
02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Anyone receives souffle strands yet? Please post pictures. TIA.

Bodecia
02-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Hi Wendy,

I don't see how one could without losing the integrity of the pearl. Surely the only way to use a half drill post would be to fill the pearl with something like pearl cement. I think you would need to use a eye pin that went all the way through the pearl.

I have some Souffle pearls and plan to use a eye pin to make some earrings.

Not much of a solution as far as a half drill post and of course, if it was filled with something like pearl cement one would have to disclose this to buyer. Not sure this would even work. I suppose it would but ...

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 - natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.

pandaexpress
02-16-2011, 05:46 AM
My wife got these for Valentine's Day - I think I finally took her breath away! The pics don't really do them justice - I don't have the fancy set-up that the pros on this forum do. But I am so grateful Jeremy let us receive one of these from his limited supply. They are very shiny - almost akoya like. They are the shiniest freshwaters we have.

Gemgeek - thanks :)

Heidi
02-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Stunning! I have distinct pearl envy - these are some of the most beautiful pearls I've ever seen. Good on ya' with the Valentine's gift! :)

lisa c
02-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Ay, ay, ay! Gorgeous, and I think you did a fine job capturing some elusive color.

pattye
02-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Oh, gorgeous! Great choice, pandaexpress!

lisa c
02-16-2011, 09:25 PM
I've been thinking about how you'd incorporate a finding with the souffle pearls ever since I read about them, as many of you have I'm sure.

The best I've come up with is to take an eyepin and in a reverse form of wire wrapping, make a flat, wide spiral, twirl the spiral into the pearl up to the eye, then bend the eye. I think you've called it breaking the neck (or shoulder?); I'll have to check back to see who posted this neck/shoulder-breaking, for my memory has failed me.

Then maybe a little bead of fixant - glue, solder, whatever the experienced posters here think is best.

The spiral spreads the support over a wider area inside the top of the pearl, minimizing pinpoint-stress. I'd like to think that also minimizes the chance of fracturing the pearl as well, and the pearl shouldn't be likely to fall off should the entry hole enlarge.

If you want a bead cap to cover the mechanics, use plain wire and after forming and placing the spiral inside, form your own eye after placing the bead cap, I suppose. Course, this would only work with a dangle.

How could you mount one on a stud?
OK, I bet there's potential for patenting a new type of stud with a spiral instead of post for mounting the pearl; cup-and-spiral instead of cup-and-post. You read it here first! or, I wonder if it's already been done...I bet the Chinese have already got a patent in the works, since they've been working on the souffles since their inception.

GemGeek
02-17-2011, 12:04 AM
You have chosen well. :cool:

Hanaleimom
02-17-2011, 12:48 AM
It's a beautiful Valentine gift. You timed your visit well to coincide with Blaire's. I assume you received great advice.

Caitlin
02-18-2011, 11:26 PM
My wife got these for Valentine's Day - I think I finally took her breath away! The pics don't really do them justice - I don't have the fancy set-up that the pros on this forum do. But I am so grateful Jeremy let us receive one of these from his limited supply. They are very shiny - almost akoya like. They are the shiniest freshwaters we have.

They have incredible luster!

Seabourn Pearls
02-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm not a jeweler and we do almost no design work. But for undrilled souffle studs we use adhesives.

Pearl Dreams
02-19-2011, 04:54 PM
I've been thinking about how you'd incorporate a finding with the souffle pearls ever since I read about them, as many of you have I'm sure.

The best I've come up with is to take an eyepin and in a reverse form of wire wrapping, make a flat, wide spiral, twirl the spiral into the pearl up to the eye, then bend the eye. I think you've called it breaking the neck (or shoulder?); I'll have to check back to see who posted this neck/shoulder-breaking, for my memory has failed me.

Interesting idea, but I think it might place a lot of stress on the nacre at the edge of the drill hole if the spiral is flat or tight. Maybe a longer (not flat), looser spiral that could be fed in easily; what do you think?

lisa c
02-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Yes, I think that's a good elaboration. Another thing to think about is what kind of wire is best, since it has to be strong enough to hold shape, but not too rigid; gold-filled, but what gauge? Course, someone posted on our site that the material didn't have to pull a truck, just hold a pearl.
I need to get going and get the materials to go from speculating to actual hands on experimenting. I'm sure that'd be more fun than just theorizing.

Some accomodation for the different inner surface of each pearl would/is going to be the norm with a spiral, since each will have an unknown hollow shape.

So, Ben what feedback do you have with the adhesive? What are you using? I realize that these pearls are new so there isn't a lot of data or feedback yet, but I'd like to know what you've experienced. I'm one for overkill re security, I know, since I hate losing anything. Also, I overthink everything and need hands on experience for balance.

Caitlin
02-19-2011, 10:24 PM
At the show, someone at Seahunt (?) suggested filling them with resin. That would be lightweight, and strong and allow 1/2 drilling. How to get the resin inside the washed pearl might need some special tube or something; I can't quite imagine it.

Seabourn Pearls
03-01-2011, 06:01 PM
We've been using two part epoxy. One woman sent a pair back because the backings came off. Like Ben Franklin's description of the Bald Eagle, she is a bird of dubious moral character so I'm not quite sure what to make of the failure. That exception aside we've had no problems.

Incidentally, I recently sent a matched pair of undrilled pearls off to a client who is having them made into a dangle. Not sure what her jeweler is doing but I'll post a pic when I get one.

GemGeek
03-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Undrilled - no problem - drill hole, screw in post. :) Okay, maybe bang out some of the dirt...